Things to do in and around Forest Grove, OR

About 35 miles west of Portland, I think. My wife and I are spending July 4 weekend at the McMenamins Grand Lodge. We know Portland fairly well and will spend time there visiting friends and skulking around Powells, but we’re unfamiliar with Forest Grove and environs. Any recommendations? We like day hikes and wineries and beautiful scenery and interesting towns, not to mention wineries. Bodies of water are also nice.

Thanks in advance,
E.

Have you ever driven down to McMinnville? I think it’d be about 20-30 miles south of Forest Grove. You can go to the Evergreen Aviation Museum and see the Spruce Goose.

Well Hwy 26 west will get you to the coast in about an hour. Cannon Beach is a good place to tourist if you like an artsy crafty hippy town. Haystack Rock, fine beach. If you like to hike then take the trip from Cannon Beach up to Ecola State Park and even on to Indian Beach. Only a mile or 2 out of town. You will never see a finer veiw of the Pacific than you can get from Ecola park, in your life! Absolutely beautiful country. Trails and coast views.

Drive to the coast, it’s still unspoiled and no crowds. Seaside is also very nice. Arcades, shops, and a walkway along the ocean that goes for several miles. There is a day hiking trail up over Tillamook Head. Bit of a long hike.

You are also right in the area of the new wine country. Several wineries and tours. You might never get far. Enjoy.

We love the coast! We’ve spent plenty of time in Cannon Beach and Seaside and are certainly not averse to returning, if it comes to that.

Never seen McMinnville before and didn’t know the Spruce Goose was there. Thanks for the tip.

Any other suggestions?