Things you crave but almost always disappoint when you get it

Whenever I see **Key Lime Pie **on a menu, I order it. I usually don’t finish it. It has been years since I have had a good key lime pie. I’m sure most of them are not made with real key limes. And I can tell.

New Year’s Eve.

The anticipation you got when you were young and first went out to parties was huge, and I still have it, even though it never lives up to expectations. Yet I live in eternal hope.

Not only that, but on some level you expect the new year to be instantaneously better than the old year, at the stroke of midnight. Then, of course, you realize that nothing has changed.

hijacking the topic

see I like the old movies too cause the new things aren’t good and in this topic people are talking about how great the 80s action movies are and then whenever I make my own topics people mock me for being stuck in ths 80s but now this topic vindicates me
</runon>

taco bell 5 layer burritos were really good once but now i can never get them perfect anymore there is always too much cheese in there or something

I don’t know… there are some pretty famous restaurant onion rings around these parts. Onion rings are actually a draw for us in the institutional situation because no matter what we might try to do, we could never match the quality, apparatus, recipe, and consistency of certain restaurant style O rings. I could probably make a good Onion Ring but I would still want a Bay Shore Supper Club onion Ring, or a Cheeburger Cheeburger! onion ring, or even a Tony Roma’s Onion Loaf (my favorite), or a bloomin’ onion.

Do you mean a KFC-style cole slaw that’s drowning in dressing? I love that stuff. The problem is that any restaurant with any sort of pretension these days is passing off dry slivers of cabbage and carrot as “cole slaw”. And even though I know I’ll hate it, I still order it because of the positive connotations of “cole slaw”.

Snyder’s Honey Mustard and Onion pretzel bites. I love the flavor like crazy, but whenever I buy a bag, all I get is a mouthful of dry, hard grossness.

Capuccino. Looks and smells so tempting and yet I always regret ordering it. All coffee makes me feel sick.

Wine. It looks like yummy blueberry juice and every time I get reminded that it’s sour, alcoholic and not juice-like at all.

Honey. I don’t know how many times I have to be reminded that I don’t like it. But when I see it on a honey comb, all golden and gooey I have to have it and be disappointed yet again.

Salted fish. Makes my mouth water but when I taste it I gag. I constantly forget just HOW unbearably salty it can be.

frozen yogurt, even with the toppings mixed in.

It used to be a cigarette. I’d always want one until I had it and then I’d wonder why did I do that?

A few from memory:
-1960’s muscle cars: noisey, uncomfortable ride. That beautiful 1967 Camaro? Rides like a buckboard-you feel every bump-and the seats have thin padding. Then you look at the gas gauge-and realize this thing drinks gas like a drunk goes through cheap vodka.
-Twinkys: open the plastic wrapper and you get a blast of polyvinyl chloride-the things taste like carcinogenic chemicals
-cheap coffee at a fast food joint-smells great-but your cup tastes like burnt rubber
-a steak dinner at the “Outback”-you bite in, and realize you paid $18.00 for a piece of old dairy cow-with a reheated baked potato, and a salad that was made 1000 miles away
-that “crabmeat” sub sand wich at “you know who’s”-you realize that the “crabmeat” was factory made
-“fish and chips” at another chain-the “fish” is something that was caught and frozen-for months.

THIS.
I remember eating circus peanuts as a child, with the slightly hard outer crust and the soft, fluffy, gooey marshmallow-ey inside. But you need to leave the bag open for 48 hours to get the hard outside, and the inside is always mealy with granulated sugar, too sweet and the artificial banana flavor is cloying and nausea inducing.
Love is a lot like this too.

I agree about fast food coffee … mrAru makes some of the best coffee, because he religiously cleans the coffeemaker and coffee pot. Nothing worse than the rancid oil buildup of commercial coffee makers.
Of course, the convenience store locally that made incredible coffee [the guy that managed it kept the machine SPOTLESS, and actually hired a guy to do nothing but coffee for the morning rush] got sold to new owners and the coffee now sucks =(

–Any type of Carnival food. It’s not so much the food itself as the serving size. They have big coils of sausage cooking on the grill. But when you cough up $8-$9 they give you a standard hot-dog sized serving.

– Spam. Once a year, I’ll buy it, cook it, eat it, and regret it.

– Candy bars. I find that I can usually resist the temptation for a candy bar when I remember that 20 minutes after I eat it, I’ll be no more satisfied than I was before.

I tried making accras a while back. Bought a box of salt cod. Soaked it. Rinsed and repeated over and over. The final product was too salty!

Home made coleslaw has shreds of cabbage leaf and the restaurant/fast food version seems to be entirely composed of cabbage stem cut in hard little cubes.

It is just dreadful!

Barbecued brisket. I take a few bites and realize I simply don’t need so much meat. Up until that point, though, I’m dying for it.

Also, going home.

Fried chicken. GOOD fried chicken is my favorite food in the world. But it’s so much trouble tp make, I hate frying it myself. So I make do with bought friend chicken. The only REALLY good I have found is Popeye’s, and sadly, both of our Popeye’s have closed. The local chain grocery store LOOKS good, and every now and then, I fall for it and buy it.

Then I remember how ‘yuck’ it really is (after tucking into it), and my dogs end up getting fried chicken in their dry food that night.

Chinese buffet. A new one opened up near work, so my wife and I went one afternoon after class let out when there was no staff meeting. We had been talking about it for weeks but kept putting it off because of our attempt to lose weight (it’s working!). I was extremely disappointed that we wasted our weekly “cheat meal” on that.

Vacation time. I look forward to it forever and then it comes and by mid-day 3 I’m bored and just trying to find busy-work for myself.