Things you grudgingly agree your parents were right about

So, we’ve all had at least one thing that our parents made us do that we HATED. Trying to get us to do it would be like pulling teeth or bathing a cat. But we’d do it, and as we grew up, we’d soon realized that yeah, it sucked, but ultimately it was for the best.

For me, it’s swimming lessons. My parents made my siblings and I take them, and we had to pass all seven levels before we were allowed to stop. We went every Saturday, and I always, ALWAYS hated it. I wasn’t very good at it, I had to take levels twice in order to pass them, I stubbornly refused to go underwater without plugging my nose (at least at first), and the water was cold and uninviting. Also, SATURDAY MORNING WAS MY DAY OFF, DAMMIT.

But as I got older, I realized that there were folks–older folks, adults–who couldn’t swim. It’s something I cannot even imagine not knowing how to do; in fact, I feel like it’s too dangerous NOT to know. Since I can swim, though, I feel like it’s a skill I’d be able to use if I had to. Now, I’m not a very GOOD swimmer by any stretch of the imagination (I still can’t dive for crap), but I can keep myself afloat and swim to shore.

So…sigh…you were right, mom and dad. It WAS good for me.

How 'bout you? What did your parents make you do that you accepted only after you’d grown up?

“One day you’ll have kids just like YOU!”
grumble

This is different but related, because it’s something my parents didn’t make me do that I now wish they had. I needed braces and my parents urged me to get them, but I kicked up a fight saying I didn’t want them for various reasons and my parents gave in. Now I’m 29 and self-conscious about my super crooked teeth. I also have a sore jaw from the way my teeth push my jaw back.

How I wish I had just sucked it up as a kid!

Playing the piano. All of us were required to take a few years of piano lessons. At the very least it taught us how to read music. If I were ever to decide to pick up an instrument and take lessons it’ll give me a head start.
(It should be added that I had some pretty awful teachers, I was taught virtually no music theory whatsoever and while I can’t just pick up sheet music and start playing, I at least don’t feel completely illiterate looking at it. )

My parents didn’t give in to my complaints about braces, and now I can see how right they were to insist that I got them. I see friends going through braces and jaw problems in their 20s and 30s, and I am so glad I got it all over with while I was a teenager. I have apologized to my dad about this one, since he paid thousands of dollars over several years just to hear me bitch and whine and tell him I hated him.

Also, when I was a kid I always wanted to do my homework in front of the TV, and my mom insisted that I could not concentrate on two things at once. I hated that, and it took me until college to accept that I really did do a better job in a quiet room (and sitting at my desk instead of sprawled on the couch). Dammit, she was right about that one.

Don’t touch the hot burner.

If you keep throwing rocks at your sister, you will hit her in the head.

The grass won’t cut itself.

If you pick at it, it won’t heal.

True, all true.

To take it to a more melodramatic level, Mom’s always told me “you have to do what’s right for YOU. You can’t go around rescuing people till you’ve rescued yourself.” I’m still on that road!

My mama always told me, “Paybacks are hell”. lol I was awful to her when I was a teen. Mostly I just wouldn’t get up in the morning for school without being sprayed with water. Or slapped. Or pulled off the bed!

Fastforward 10 years…my daughter was just as bad. Fifteen years after that I had a daughter with no discernible sleep pattern for the first four years of her life.

OH yeah paybacks are hell all right!

Yeah…they were right…it *would *have been a bad idea for a naive 14-year-old redhead (me) to get a job at the local horse race track…

I’ve got the flipside of this one. My parents finally gave in when I whined and said I didn’t want to take piano any more. (I think I must have taken 5 or 6 years.) I really wish they’d made me continue, but 20/20 hindsight, ya know. Now that I’ve got a teenager whose starting to grumble about continuing piano, I know I literally can’t force him, but I will do my darndest to figure out what would help him sustain his interest. A change in teachers may be in order. (And to give Mom credit, she tried to do that for me, but I dug my heels in and insisted on quitting.)

I’m not grudging about any of it. If I had done what they said, I could be living a life like theirs.

If I had, I could have had a good job, marriage, house, first kid, excellent car when I turned 30.

As it was, at that stage in my life I had an adequate job, an ex, one child out of… one? And a mountain bike with not many working gears.

My parents constantly said that there would be a time when I would start to wish that I’d let them teach me how to cook when I was still living at home. Took a while for it to catch up with me, but…yeah. I haven’t had any major kitchen disasters, but it would’ve been nice to not start blind.

I can’t swim. It’s not really dangerous to not know, as long as you stay away from most water-related situations. And there are plenty of swimmers, even really good ones, who still drown. In fact, probably more often than non-swimmers, because they’re in the water a lot more often. If I fell out of a boat, I’d be in trouble. But so would anybody else, swimmer or not.

I realize I am playing with fire bringing this one up but, my parents always had us kids eat whatever they were eating. No making myself a sandwich or cereal, and definitely not pasta with butter or mac and cheese while they ate the lima beans stew.

Now, there are very few foods I don’t like and even the ones I don’t like, I can eat and not be too put out by it. Now I realize that some people are just naturally picky, but out of the four kids that grew up in my house, we are all this way and LOVE our veggies.

So mom was right in making us eat our veggies. I am much healthier today for it. I especially realize this when I go out with a certain friend of mine who will only eat plain pasta, a burger, or french fries. Nothing else. So sad, he is missing out on so much.

The only things I can think of are 1. not being allowed to hang out with friends late at night w/o adult supervision. (good call, mom; I was mad but I wasn’t the one who ended up pregnant or on drugs or sexually active at 14) and 2. not being allowed to attend a Rolling Stones concert at 15. (no way, no how, and I forget now exactly how many rapes and murders there were that night connected to that show/in the parking lot, etc…:eek:)

Most things though, I STILL see as utterly pointless and counterproductive.

Things like being made to eat liver once a week (always hated it, still do, never became anemic w/o it, or w/o any meat for that matter, as a vegetarian) Never developed a taste for it either.

Or being made to eat veggies I hated like boiled slimy yellow squash (I have an aversion to yellow squash to this day as a result) or brussle sprouts (usually COLD since I refused to eat them and they went into the fridge so I could be “forced” to eat them later, eventually ending up on the trash:rolleyes:) I actually love brussel sprouts now, but me NOT loving tham at 8 yrs old was NOT that big a deal considering I ate most other veggies w/o complaint.

I’m another who has to give my parents credit for making me continue with piano. Thanks to the lessons I learned in how to make my way around a keyboard and in reading music, I’ve been able to teach myself a few instruments, and to enjoy all of them.

What would he like to play? I hated piano because I had a cranky old teacher who wouldn’t let me play rock and pop; I had to constantly play material prepared by the local Conservatory of Music. Technically challenging, but absolutely no fun; and when all of your friends with guitars are trying to be rock stars (and wowing the girls in the process), you want to at least show that you’re at least capable of playing with them. (“Why yes, miss, I do play in a rock band. Keyboards, you know.”) I’d suggest asking him what he wants to play, and finding a teacher who will teach him just that. IME, much of the material composed by people like Elton John and Billy Joel was just as challenging as any of that old Conservatory stuff. Too bad my teacher refused to even look at it.

Or, maybe another instrument is right for him. (I can still play the piano, but I much prefer to play the flute.) Ask him what instrument he would rather to play, and then see if his enthusiam for music improves once he can play what he likes.

You really can’t trust Jews.

Just kidding.

In all seriousness, my mother was absolutely right when she said if I didn’t go to grad school right after college I wouldn’t want to go at all.

‘‘You need to learn to make decisions with your head, not your heart.’’

It took a loooong time for this one to sink in, bleeding-heart hippie child that I was, but eventually I became a pragmatist–the hard way. I learned its possible to fight for myself and for others without losing my head.

‘‘Start a Roth IRA ASAP.’’ – Told to me at the age of 18, when I could barely fathom a career, much less retirement. While I haven’t gotten around to the Roth (planning to do so this May), I did start a 403(b) at 23, and I am happy to report that between my husband and I, we have more saved for retirement at age 27 than the average 45-year-old headed household.

Not to be confused with my parents’ advice: “Trust your gut.”

Always question authority.
A stitch in time saves nine.
Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary.
Use some elbow grease.
Whatever it takes.
Get off the cross someone else might need the wood.
A penny saved is a penny earned.
Don’t put all your eggs in one backet.
Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Be the bigger person.
Readers are leaders.
If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.
If your bored go clean out a drawer.
Children should be seen and not heard.
Always leave it a little better then you found it.
Boyfriends may come and go but babies are forever.
If at first you don’t succeed try, try, again.
We all can’t be chiefs, some of us have to be Indians too.
Take the high road.
Don’t ever, ever, ever, give up.
Onward Christian soldiers.
Hind sight is 20/20.
“Intelligent people talk about ideas, average people talk about things and ignorant people talk about other people”.
Do it right the first time.
All of these came out to be true for me. My father was big on quotes and I just typed these from memory. He was always talking about doing your personal best. I don’t know how many times I have one of his quotes pop into my head. He was also a wonderful example of his many quotes.