Things You Shouldn't Need To Tell People

I don’t even know why grocery stores do checks any more.

The other day, a lady in front of me was about to write a check, before she could, the cashier stopped her: No ma’am, we do all that"

So the lady handed her a blank check. The cashier sticks it in the machine, the machine fills out the check, and then the lady signs it.

Lol. Just use your check card. That’s essentially all you’ve done with that paper check.

Makes me nervous when I’m driving and come across people like this. Equally often it’s someone waiting at a bus stop with their toes touching the curb, head down in their cell phone. One little stumble, and they’re going to land on the pavement in front of me. The lack of risk perception (or the inflated sense of reward) on the part of some folks never ceases to amaze me.

too short

The edge of the curb coming into their head-down field of vision was to them the first and only sign that they were running out of sidewalk.

Better though than the ones who wait to check traffic in my direction after they already have one foot in the street and the other swinging to take the next step.

Put your phone down and drive.

Speaking of farm fields—an acquaintance of mine back in the 80s decided to go joy-riding through a local farm’s cornfields. Of course the farmer called the police because of the ruined crops. When the police went to question him at his workplace the next day they looked at his truck and he still had cornstalks stuck in the wheel wells and underneath. The idiot didn’t even bother to spend five minutes to pull them out.

I personally do not find sour or lumpy milk to be tasty. If it’s either sour or lumpy, down the drain it goes.

Don’t wait 5 minutes in line at McDonalds, only once you get up to the cashier THEN to ask your Spouse/Child “So what do you want to eat?”

As a corollary, Save Early, Save Often

Conversely, if you tell someone that you are going to be at a certain place by a certain time, actually make some effort to try to arrive there by that time.

If you’re in public DON’T listen to music, video or a podcast on your phone at maximum Volume.

Who are you, Randy Newman?

Things you shouldn’t need to tell people: “Mind your own business.”

This might not exactly qualify for this thread, but I want people to leave their porch lights (or the equivalent) on at night. Are they trying to save a few pennies on their electric bills every month, or what? I’m not talking about floodlights that illuminate every square inch of property like a night baseball game, but Geez Louise, how about a nice 40-ish watt light on the front of your house and maybe in the back, too. It makes it look like people live there.

??? Why am I under an obligation to keep my porch lights on so it looks to you like someone lives there? I put my porch lights on when, y’know, I need light on my porch. It has literally never occurred to me to leave my porch lights on all night for…aesthetics? I’m genuinely confused as to what purpose you think this serves. Or why I am obligated to do this. Or why this is something you shouldn’t need to tell people.

I can think of lots of reasons to want to leave a low wattage bulb on at night.

One of them being not wanting to give cover for would be home invaders.

Another not wanting my house to look like a drug house.

Gee, I seem to have hit a hot button. You went from zero to 60 in about five seconds. :astonished:

Frankly, I shouldn’t have to explain it to you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some people like it dark at night. It bugs me when people leave their outdoor lights on unnecessarily; it’s not only a waste of energy, it’s a disruptor of sleep cycles, and a contribution to light pollution, which is a problem not only for humans but also for other species.

If your place is in an area where that’s an active concern, and if leaving a light on actually provides protection in your particular circumstances, it may well make sense for you to leave it on. But that doesn’t make it a general thing you shouldn’t need to tell people.

Of course that’s a hot button. I’m surprised that you’re surprised; and that apparently we have to explain to you why you’re getting a reaction.

We have a motion light by our door and one on the garage. We don’t ever leave outside lights on all night. Most people around us don’t either.

Also, if you do pick up your dog’s poop, please take the poopy bag with you. I see so many bags of poop just left here and there along the sidewalks. Some of the bags I’ve seen have been there forever.