Things you've seen abroad you wish were adopted world wide

Just to confuse the issue, that sounds like what we would call a mini-roundabout, or perhaps a single-lane roundabout.
https://www.passmefast.co.uk/roundabout-types

In the UK, The word “roundabout” is used generally for every rotary traffic system whether signal controlled or not. They are far, far better than the intensely annoying four way stops in the USA (though the USA rule of being able to turn right on red signals is something worth considering for the UK)

Well, maybe not turn right in the UK, eh? :slight_smile:

Ha! yes, that might be a bit of problem.

Turn on red in the UK would put pedestrians at risk in the UK given that more people walk and jaywalking isn’t a thing here. Pedestrians often cross, quite legally, when pedestrian signal is at red but traffic is clear and looking out for turning vehicles makes this harder. I wouldn’t trust turning-on-red drivers to observe pedestrian’s priority.

Yes. I had issues numerous times in the US at a pedestrian crossing that allowed drivers to turn right on red. It meant you essentially couldn’t ever cross safely at all. Drivers were supposed to stop but never did. Even when I was already halfway across I’d get cars turning and driving across the crossing inches away from me.

Right on red is not usually allowed in my city ( only when there is a sign). But drivers not stopping is separate from "right on red’ - even in places where right on red is not allowed, and where people are not turning right on red , you still have the issue of people turning right on the green light not stopping for the pedestrians crossing on the street the driver is turning onto.* It’s just a different group of pedestrians not being stopped for.

• Let’s say I’m driving down Main and turning right on Oak. If right on red is allowed, I am to supposed to stop and yield to pedestrians crossing Main St. If ROR is not allowed, I will have to wait to get a green light on Main and then I am supposed to yield to pedestrians crossing Oak ( who typically have either have a walk sign or a green light when cars traveling on Main have a a green light ) when I turn right.

The problem I’ve experienced is that the vast majority of drivers turning right on red only look left to check for approaching vehicles, and don’t even see the pedestrians crossing Main from the right.

Probably true. I don’t get how those crossings are supposed to work when pedestrians essentially never have priority. Every time we crossed it felt like taking our lives into our hands.

Pedestrians? What’s that. These roads are for CARS.

(The AAA apparently invented the word “jaywalking” and pushed to criminalize it. This is not a new conflict.)

I don’t know if this is still done in Great Britain, but in some Penguin copies I have of P.G. Wodehouse novels, I notice that abbreviations for titles like Dr, Mr, and Mrs are styled without the period or full stop.

As a former programmer who actually did do some work in text processing, I think that makes infinitely more sense, in terms of parsing a sentence.

In normal British usage, abbreviations do not have a period (“full stop”) if the abbreviation includes the first and last letter of the unabbreviated word, like Mr, Dr, Mrs, etc. However, the period is used if the last letter doesn’t appear in the abbreviation, as in Prof., Rev., Hon., etc.

Yes. When working with American scripts I have a macro of sorts set up to automatically remove the periods in Dr, Mr, Ms and Mrs. The others don’t really come up very often in my work (subtitling) because they’re not usually said out loud in an abbreviated form, but if they were, that’s the format I’d follow.

Prof is sometimes said out loud but without the name after it; then it doesn’t have a full stop because it’s more like a name than a title. And if someone says “thank you, doctor,” obviously that’s written out in full and in lower case.

The lack of the full stop doesn’t make anyone think this is someone called “Dr Hanson,” pronounced dur. Including it shouldn’t make you think the sentence is ending, either, but it’s messy at the very least.

Hasn’t the pandemic pushed those forward where you are? The terminals were already very common where I am (Southern Ontario) and the pandemic just sealed the deal. Everyone takes contactless payment (“The Tap”) now.

That’s pretty much standard in Canada, perhaps due to the length of the muddy/wet/snowy seasons.

Sweden, too. This forced me to change my dressing habits after moving here, because I needed to make sure my socks didn’t have holes in them if I were planning on visiting someone. :sweat_smile:

There is some of this in the U.S., but it isn’t nearly universal.

I claim $0 use tax on my MI income tax form as it seems every online retailer includes sales tax for the state of destination when you play for it. The state has a table that they suggest using where use tax is a function of income- the resulting use tax is ridiculously high. If they can prove that I owe use tax, the burden is on them to show it.

My state offers a “safe haven” use tax estimate, and i always claim that. I buy a bunch of stuff from out of state, some of it from individuals and small retailers who don’t deal with out-of-state sales tax.

Heck, the pandemic means that here in the UK, a fair few pubs ask you to order and pay on your phone, so you don’t hardly have to interact with the waiter or bartender at all.

Cordless/tap to pay card machines have been the default for years and years. There’s a price limit of the tap to pay option, but that’s going up to £100 I think.