Think of a city in Australia (that isn't Sydney)

Voted for Melbourne, but I should’ve gone with Coober Pedy since it’s the best city name ever.

Brisbane, with Cairns in second place.

I used to have a pen pal in Collie.

Wagga Wagga is always the first one I think of.

I thought of a city not listed, Fremantle. I suppose the reason for that is the Tom Selleck movie Quigley Down Under. He landed at Fremantle.

Newcastle (for fairly obvious reasons).

Note that, strictly speaking, Canberra is not a city, even though most people think of it as a city, since it’s not incorporated as a city. Local government functions in Canberra are carried out by the Australian Capital Territory government.

Melbourne is usually the first city I think of, before Sydney even, as I have family there.

Pen pal too, when I was 11, in Perth. Wonder what happened to him. Pumpkin farmer? Eaten by dingoes?

Also, Perth Amboy, NJ, is only an hour away from me.

I thought of Ballarat. Probably only because it came up in conversation earlier this evening (yesterday evening now, I suppose).

Perth. Which I know nothing about.

There’s a few Dopers from Melbourne! We even did a Melbourne Dopefest way back in (errrr, maybe 2003??) Help me out here Eliahna! It was in a cafe at the corner of Brunswick St and Cecil St in Fitrzoy?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I’m no longer a Melburnian, having moved a whole 100km away, so I now come under the jurisdiction of the biggest non-capital city in Australia, Geelong.

So, Geelong.

:smiley:

Oh, and just by-the-by, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast are not cities, but ‘regions’.

Melbourne, because a big part of my company is there. But I would have assumed the popular answer would be Canberra, 'cos, you know, it’s the capital of the country.

Formula One fan here, so…

Cairns, followed by Alice Springs - which probably doesn’t count.

Ballarat was mentioned in a Sherlock Holmes story, “The Boscombe Valley Mystery”.

Melbourne, because that’s where Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries is set.

Oh, and also it’s where I live.

Melbourne, because I’ve known a few Aussies from there.

Half right: Gold Coast is in fact a city – the second-largest city in Australia, going on the population of local government areas, with the City of Brisbane being the largest.

Melbourne. Because I can literally see it from my back yard.