Think of a famous Photo.

That’s the only one I don’t recognize. What’s the context?

This was my default screen for about a year.

same here

What’s the story behind the third and fifth photos?

Mine is going to be way different than the ones posted so far, especially since it’s less than a year old. It’s honestly the first one I thought of though and one of my favorite pics.

This one.

I guess I’m morbid, because the following was the first I thought of.

My nephew was only two days different in age from that little girl. She too should be about to celebrate her fourteenth birthday.

IIRC, that was a soldier at the moment of his death in the Spanish Civil War. There is a bullet entering his head, and you can see the flesh and brain just beginning to explode outward.

At the moment I’m failing to remember whotook it. Robert Capa, maybe?

Yes, I just Googled Capa and confirmed it was him

That was mine.

Mine was this one.

The one in post #8 is the first one that came to my mind; #4’s was the second.

Me, too.

Me too!

http://www.life.com/Life/special/kiss01a.html

I thought of the one Susan posted first but after that there is this or this

I’m pretty sure the fifth photo is the first photo ever.

That’s #1. The others altready posted were on my Top 5 list.

There is some debate about whether the Capa Spanish civil war photo was staged, but it’s still the first that popped into my mind.

Thinking about it a little more, I would nominate something by Sebastiao Salgado.

Third is the hanging of the Lincoln conspirators; I had it on my wall when I was a kid (and based a history fair project on it). The fifth is one that I have framed in my office at home- it’s by Joseph Niépce (pronounced niece, I understand) and is the oldest known photograph still in existence (1826/1827).

Thank you for posting these, guys…I find this thread fascinating.

Mine: here.

Tripler
Smilin’ Joe, indeed.

I’m surprised this one hasn’t come up yet.

Definitely first for me.

The National Geographic cover:

Afghan Girl