Thinking of getting a Dachshund

I’ve had 4 doxies over the years. The first two were very laid back standards (Gretchen and Fritz). The third was from the local rescue group but had to go back (Ziggy)- he bit or tried to bite 8 people in 8 days.

I have kids and watch kids, so a biting dog won’t do well here. I have always been suspicious that the rescue group knew about his biting but chose not to reveal it. I don’t believe he just started biting when he came here and they offered many reasons as to why he was biting (he’s new, he’s just being protective, he’s nervous, etc.). After he was returned to the group, they called and said they would have to put him down if I wouldn’t take him back. I said I was sorry to hear that, but there is no way I can have a biter with the number of kids that come through my house. They knew about the kids as they came out to interview us before placing a dog with us, and even brought a dox with them to see how we interacted with a dog. He was a random biter, too- no warning, just hit-and-run.

The current one (Brownie) has threatened to bite 3 times in 3 years. She is trained to go to her crate when she needs a break from the kids and 2 of the three incidents occurred when kids were messing with her while she had put herself in time-out. She is well trained, but the kids need to be well trained, too.