This is my least favorite time of year at work

The reason is because this is during one of our ‘hiring cycles’. That means several of my coworkers are quitting and are being replaced by new hires. We have a pretty high turnover rate (mainly because of high school kids moving/graduating). We also have a spanking new manager that joined us last month. So why am I upset?

Because the center is full of people who barely have a grasp of what they are doing, and rather than ask for feedback from someone who knows (like one of the other directors or me) they just take a leap of faith and guess on it. Rules that I was told were very airtight (such as no eating while on the computer) get ignored, which makes kids realize they can get away with stuff. When a child wants to get his way, who does he ask? The least experienced employee of course! Because that person is most likely to say “Sure, I don’t see why not”.

Sometimes I’m frustrated I don’t say more, but I feel conflicted between being the ‘wet blanket’ of the staff. I want to get along with my coworkers, but I also want them to do their damn job. Every time I do point something out, they always just blow me off, saying its not nearly as big of a deal as I think it is. This makes me think maybe I’m just a control freak or something…:confused:

When I first started working there, they ran a very tight ship. The managers were strict, but just. There were many times I considered quitting because I got warned about things that I did which I didn’t realize were that important, or stuff that seemed beyond my control. Lately, it feels like things have gotten lax, and this displeases me. :frowning:

Maybe when the rest of the staff gets the hang of things a bit more, things will improve, but the combination of a staff dominated by inexperienced new hires, and a influx of members joining near the start of the school year makes for a very unhappy Incubus.

Maybe you can get more involved in training the new hires? Maybe put together a little presentation on “Top 10 Things I Learned Last Year.” Also, it might help to start mentoring them more, especially if you can catch them doing something well, and before they are screwing up. For example, before the students arrive, ask one of the new hires “Can you help me make sure the students keep food away from the computers? It will help when we have to clean up tonight.” Let the new hire do something right the first time, rather than having to go correct them once they screw up.

Another thing would be to touch base with the new manager. Maybe that person has different priorities than the last one and will set and enforce different rules. Or maybe they just don’t know the history of why some rules exist.

FWIW, this is not a great time of year at my job, either. Annual budgeting process, yaaargh!

The problem is, I don’t really have a position of authority over newer coaches. I can’t ‘pull rank’ so to speak.

The issue with the new manager, unfortunately, is that I don’t really like her. She’s really ditzy, and this doesn’t mesh well with me. She also doesn’t listen to my advice and suggestions, and is more interested in telling me how to do my job (which I have been doing for 2 years) than to get feedback on how to manage the center.

I really want to be a manager there (I have to have a Bachelor’s to qualify, but I may be getting that by the end of this year) because then I can run things the way I’ve seen works from successfull managers. At least if I was a Director I would have some clout with dealing with coaches, instead of resorting to tattling on them to a manager because they won’t listen to what I say.

:mad:

Go ahead. “Fire in the belly” can count.

(Bad example, but an example anyway.) We had one guy, Gordon, at my last job who basically loved to tell people what to do. It’s too bad he didn’t have much experience or judgment, but what happened was, he came on as if he was the local honcho, and people reacted to him as if he was, and would stupidly obey.

Strategizing your approach as per Harriet would be a good idea. Good practice for manager, looking at which approaches work.

Of course Gordon got the (remote) boss convinced he was the cat’s pajamas, so he did have management support.

Gotta tell a Gordon story. At one meeting with all the locals plus the remote boss, he turned on his pompous voice and began advocating an emergency procedure involving a “Fire Warden”. One of my favorite co-workers popped up and enthusiastically said, “That position should go to Gordon! Gordon the Fire Warden! Warden Gordon!” The giggles went on for a while. The boss seemed to think this (backtalk) was something a leader should have to learn to live with. [/Gordon story]

I’d say don’t think of it as pulling rank. It sounds like you’re right in realizing that won’t work. Lead by going to a good place, and people will follow. Help the new coaches learn their job, and they will like and support you and be impressed with what you know. Even help the new manager succeed in spite of her ditziness. If she got the job, she probably has something going for her, maybe in terms of positive attitude or good people skills. Provide the facts and reliability she needs to succeed, and she will think you do a great job. Provide facts that make her look bad and you won’t have her support. It’s obvious you care about this job, so I’m cheering you on!