This is the reason humans are going to go extinct

You needn’t steal a cart to harvest a quarter. :rolleyes:

I remember when the cart would be pushed by a bag boy who would load the purchases into the customer’s car, and then return the cart to the store. There were no cart corrals in those halcyon days of yore.

It doesn’t help - sorry. Food getting wasted because a customer is a lazy ass is not acceptable in my opinion. Yes, I am working on becoming an old curmudgeon - how nice of you to notice. :smiley:

That is the best story I’ve ever heard - talk about your instant karma! People who just leave their carts, especially behind someone else’s car, should be shot on sight. These humans are defective - return to manufacturer.

Okay, and why do they require a quarter, do you think?

These kids have no respect for staying off lawns; Ford Gran Torinos; putting lawn care supplies back on the shelf.

A quarter? Seriously, America, this is another reason you need to give in to dollar coins. People are much less likely to leave shopping trolleys around if they have to put a whole dollar in them. (Over here they take pound coins, ie about $1.50, and you can bet I’m not leaving that behind!)

Everybody knows shopping carts are vicious pack hunters.

That may be true “theoretically,” but here in reality there’s always one wheel that’s got more friction than the other three. They’d never move in a straight line.

Hope you’re a vegetarian! (Basing this on all the recent news about the horse-meat labeled as beef)

You’re behind the times. Now it’s fox meat sold as donkey. Even better, it’s at Walmart.(In China)

Given that ~ every fourth or fifth parking slot is given over to parking corrals, this strikes me as particularly unredeemable. Those assholes would get better parking places if the store didn’t devote that much space to trying to prevent this crap from happening.

GRRRR… that kind of thing really annoys me. I have been known to watch someone park their cart behind someone else, or in a driving aisle and I will go get their cart if I’m close enough and put it away - making sure they see me doing it and hear me cussing them out. I’ve had people apologize afterwards. I don’t suppose they’ll ever learn, but hopefully some of them will.

One of my regrets after visiting Europe was that I didn’t have an opportunity to try horse on the dinner table. Alas, my hosts knew I was American and it is taboo over here so they politely never offered or arranged the opportunity. I appreciate their consideration, even as I regret the lost opportunity.

Although I, too, am in the camp that objects to mislabeled products. I don’t want to be buying horse unless I’m aware that’s why I’m buying.

And no, I am not vegetarian and never will be.

Recently I was shopping at a SuperStore, which takes dollar coins for the carts. I was about done with my cart, and a woman walked up to me and wanted my cart, including my dollar. I asked her if she had a dollar, she said no, she only had some token thing that is used to replace the dollar. I said then my cart had to go back to the corral. I debated with myself on the way home - I can afford to give someone else a dollar, but I think it was the principle of the thing - that was MY dollar. You don’t just ask me for it. Unless you’re a bum, and I don’t give money to bums.

This is one I see as an issue in the class divide. Ordinarily, people who have more money than me do jerkish shit because they’re self-entitled elites who don’t believe the rules apply to them; while people who have less money than me do jerkish shit because they’ve been told they don’t matter to society so society doesn’t matter to them. (People who earn the same as me, born within three months before or after me, and at a hospital within a fifty-mile radius as mine are perfect angels).

But this is one practice that I only see at Walmart. Much more than Kroger or Publix. I guess Mitt Romney’s disparaged 47% return the disregard towards the Walton family via their shopping carts.

Nope. It is a result of a genetic splitting in the tree of life. Humankind shall continue. What you see is the work of its short bus cousins the Walmartians, who rely on breeding when young, drunk, and in the dark.

You’d think was true - but I’ve never seen a loose cart in an Aldi lot. The quarter obviously isn’t much money, but it’s apparently enough.

20p trolleys usd to be the standard in my area when I was a kid- a bit more than a quarter I think, but still small change.

Adults frequently didn’t bother returning them, but the local kids used to hang around and collect them. This worked fine until one of the enterprising little sods worked out that you could jam a ring pull in the slot- they’d then exchange the trolley for 20p from some unsuspecting mug who didn’t have a 20p piece.

You couldn’t get the ring pull out again without pliers though, so trolleys started accumulating again, and they all changed to £1 ones, which people almost never abandon… though I still find the odd one.

Obviously those carts are just visiting from the greater New York metropolitan area.

Many supermarket parking lots around here do not have cart corrals. In looking at that picture, it took me a moment to figure out what the problem was.

There are no grocery stores here that require coins to operate carts. Some stores are set up that way, but nothing has been implemented.

Today I returned a cart that was blocking a parking space. I do this whenever I can. It makes me feel like a nice human being.

The ones that get me are the people who push their cart into the exit doorway, decide they can carry the bags to the car, and leave the cart directly in the doorway.
I once had some guy in line in front of me who was in front of his cart unload it, buy his stuff, and walk off leaving the cart in front of me. I called after him angrily and said “Hey, you forgot your cart!” The chicken shit knew it was him but wouldn’t turn around and kept walking.