This is what happens when you don't know how to use a hyphen.

This is one reason why you include a clause in your course syllabus that states that all writing in the course is “public text”. You’re free to cite their work in your own academic pursuits, or share some horrible poetry.

Can I be of assistance with this poetry? My ass has been tooting splendidly all evening.

That was ass-istance you were offering, was it not?

mine is broke. split right up the middle.

In high school, “personality” was the code word that my friends and I used for ass: “Man, you could bounce a quarter off that personality!” It came from a party, where some guy (complete stranger) walked up to a friend and wanted to dance, telling her that she had a “great personality”.

I also minored in Creative writing with an emphasis in poetry, and I have no idea how my professor kept a straight face throughout every class. She is a wonderful, kind, brilliant woman… and also an excellent liar. How she managed to find something to praise in every tortured-soul outpouring, I’ll never know.

I prefer an ass personality which is bubbly. :smiley:

OK, one student out of 20? Hell, sounds to me like you’re hitting just about the perfect balance between being an ass-kissing popularity whore and a keep-'em-under-your-thumb dick-ass tyrant.

I’m actually serious. A really good teacher pushes their students and sometimes that results in negative feedback. As long as half the class isn’t saying these things, I think your ass can rest easy.

I had burritos with extra chilis last night. My ass is not a happy camper.

My ass is chapped. It also has a hole in it.

I have a gay ass personality, but that’s OK, since my arms, legs, and other major bodily components are also gay.

Thanks to Kythereia’s link, I now know a new word:

Anasyrma: the act of lifting one’s skirt or kilt for the sexual enjoyment of others.

Truly, the SDMB is a wonderful place.

Suuure, if we call it ‘up-skirt’, it’s “what a pervert!”, but put some fancy-ass Greek word on it, and it’s “oooh, how erudite!” It’s time Germanic words were liberated from the domination of their Latin/Greek overlords!

My mother used to sing this one as well. I viewed in not as ‘fun’, but as callous dismissal of my expressions of childhood social ineptitude and difficulty in making friends.

Once again, I save the day and fight ignorance! Or something.

Anasyrmaics unite! :smiley:

But not your genitals? Dang, that’s gotta be difficult. >_>

My ass personality is musical.

Oh we had plenty of those, as well. This was just one of the funner ways of making fun of us.

Yes. It is typo-ridden. And I really think it’s kind of sad that it was written at all.

And LiveOnAPlane, you’re totally right. I’ve been surprised that most of my students either like me/the class or don’t have any serious negative feelings about either. I’m used to getting mixed student responses, and I don’t really care if they like me as a person (it’s just a class, and you signed up for it, so do the work!). I am a little weirded out by the violence here, though. I mean, you’d think I’d poisoned Student’s dog. Deliberately. In front of her. And then broken some of her fingers for an extra frisson.

Glad to hear your ass personalities are lively, at the very least. Mine has to go deal with Student today, and is seriously considering workshopping the poem. Does that make the rest of my personality ass-like?

I’ve never encountered this! It seems like a good idea for me as a teacher, but as a student, I’d probably be wary, given the idea of workshop trust that’s been trained into me. With most students, the general practice here is just to ask them if we can share their work. I don’t think that’ll be effective in this case.