This is what I mean when I say I can’t cook

I started buying high-oleic sunflower oil, which has much higher resistance to going rancid than ordinary vegetable oil (soy, etc.). I think 10 years might be a bit much even for that, though.

The other advantage is that if you put an oily plate in the dishwasher and leave it there for a week, the oil doesn’t oxidize and turn to varnish.

^^ Thanks for the tip!

Why yes, nuts can go both on ice cream and salad =)

I have a friend from school back when we still had Home Economics who was an absolute disaster at cooking ad lib [you know, modifying a recipe, like using Liptons Onion Soup mix or Stove Top Stuffing mix in meatloaf, or things like that that many people can do competently] so she got the Betty Crocker Cookbook and refused to do any cooking that was not directly from a recipe. Exact ingredients, exact methodology, and it worked. She could put a meal out that was pretty decent, but just standard. I like experimenting, and have both flops and sublime meals - but the occasional flop doesn’t really bother me.

I just wish people didn’t have the handicap that seems to be prevalent of their parents not really cooking from scratch - I used to make the monthly birthday cake for one of my jobs [customer service, so lots of younger folks] and it was pitiful how few had ever gotten a scratch cake [and the amazement at the one time i reproduced Olive Garden’s Lemon Cake … they were covinnced that I managed to talk them into selling me a whole uncut cake, until one of my friends from work was over and I made her one to take home.] The house that burnt in 2015 was renovated by a guy, his wife and their 5 year old kid and the kitchen reflected the style of cooking dinner that could be described as shove a Stouffer’s Lasagne in the oven, add a premade Garlic Bread loaf in to heat up and make a tossed salad, while following it with a Carvel’s Ice Cream Cake out of the freezer. There was no effective counter space, and no actual dining room/space to put a table, it was an eat at bar that also served as most of the counter space.