This movie always kind of creeped me out

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I’m watching it right now on TNT. I remember having nightmares about it when I was little. Even now, it’s kind of freaky.
Funny thing, I read the book with no problem.

those purple-faced oompa-loompa’s are to the Flying monkees as Willy Wonka is to Charles Manson

…I always hated this movie as a kid. I thought Wonka was killing all of those kids, and thought he was an evil, evil man.

The Oompa Loompas, however, I loved…I’d stay for a refrain or two of their song, and then be done with it.

Oh GOD, did I hate that movie. Still do. The Oompa Loompas aren’t harmless little Wonka helpers – they’re The Evil! Minions of the devil! Servants of Beelzebub delivering the tortured souls of the children of the damned to their chocolately torment in Hades!!!

Hey!!!

You bunch of Nazis!! :wink:

This is one of my all time favorite movies! I always fantasized about owning my own chocolate factory after watching this movie. I thought Willy himself was god since he had all that candy to eat. Without fail on every Thanksgiving we watch the movie sometime during the day. I can’t wait! :smiley:

That movie has warped my soul. Because of the Oompa-Loompas, I am…gasp… a midget-hater.

:::hanging head in shame:::

Seriously. Every time I see a person of less than average height, I get the willies. Shamefully, in my fear, I once smacked a wee person atop his head one Halloween when he surprised me coming around a corner. I’ve never even dated someone under six feet tall.

I totally blame Willy Wonka and his demon minions for the evil in my heart.

… the songs are catchy, though!

::“Twilight Zone” music swells::

Synchronicity rules. I just saw some clips from The Grinch and it looks horrifying. And this is someone who who adores Nightmare before Christmas and Scrooged.

Nobody was born more whimsical than Gene Wilder. If he couldn’t pull off a fantasy by Roald Dahl–who was complex, to say the least–then no wonder a physical comedian like Carrey makes terrifying hash of Dr. Seuss.

Sorry, unintentional derailment.

Veb

Is that the one with the girl that blows up into a blueberry? I think it was, and it completely freaked me out too. I still have nightmares about that scene occasionally, even though I only saw it once, more than 20 years ago. Although I would like to see that once again because I’m curious as to how accurate my memory actually is.

Folks, the darkness in the movie is just a reflection of Roald Dahl. He had a very sick mind – read his collection, “Switch Bitch,” or any of his other stories like “Lamb to the Slaughter” or “The Landlady.”

So you’re right that the Oompa-Loompas are sinister. They were also so racist in their original incarnation that the publisher of the American edition had the book edited to tone it down. (This from someone who worked at the publisher at the time and who wrote the inside jacket copy for the book – Jane Yolen).

There is a darkness and cruelty throughout Dahl’s work for children, and the movies made from them (“James and the Giant Peach,” “The Witches,” and “Matilda,” for instance).

Racist in what way? Color me interested.

Yea, those Oompaloompas freaked me out. Even more terrifying is the fact that the last time we had it playing in the video store I work at, a couple of frat boys were discussing thier Halloween costumes. They went as Oompaloompas. ::shiver:: A more terrifing combination I cannot imagine.

I DO love that movie, though. “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream.” Wonderful. And Gene Wilder is one of a small number of people I want to be my uncle.

sniff I knew I couldn’t be the only one around. Yes, it was the Oompa-Loompas and their evil little songs that tormented me as a child. That, and the scene where they are floating towards the fan in the ceiling. shudder And I sat here, and watched the whole thing tonight. I must be a glutton for punishment.

ROFLMFAO!!!

and slackergirl, yes, it’s the one with the girl who blows up into a blueberry.

I was absolutely terrified of that movie. The Oompa-Loompas made me a little edgy, but the nightmare really began in the scene in which the boy and his grandfather almost got sucked into the giant fan. :eek:

I will never, ever have a ceiling fan in my bedroom.

I was also frightened of the television series “H.R. Puff-n-Stuff.” I was fine with the witch, but for some reason the talking flute freaked me out.

I was so scared when I watched it in first grade that it made me cry.

I will never watch it ever again. It gave me bad nightmares.

I absolutely love Willy Wonka, but I neverthought it was a good childrens movie, far too dark.

The movie never bothered me, to be honest. Well, except for the part when they were all on the paddle boat, going through that horrific tunnel. :frowning: Other than that, I actually like the movie!
And by the way, Ad Noctum, the Oompa Loompas didn’t have purple faces…they were orange.
“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.” (What a great line!) :slight_smile:

I stand corrected… either way though, it’s bad :stuck_out_tongue:

“Lamb to the Slaughter”…is that the one where the wife kills her husband by clubbing him with a frozen leg of lamb when he tells her he wants a divorce, and then she cooks and feeds the lamb to the police to get rid of the evidence?

I watched it tonight…I LOVE that movie…the music is kewl, the kids are brats, and I would LOVE to run around in a factory like that…who wouldn’t?
Besides, it has one of THE BEST quotes in movie history:

Violet (picking her nose: Spitting is a dirty habit!
Wonka: I know a worse one.

I was also traumatized by this film. A babysitter tried to make me watch it on TV, and I totally freaked out - I’m sure she was very surprised.

I actually wrote a horror poem in college featuring the soda room scene.

[proud daddy]
my kids love WW, and they laughed uproariously at the new Grinch… I’ve taught them well!
[/proud daddy]

BTW this movie has some great lines
i.e. Grinch: {looking at calendar)
"4:00: wallow in self pity,
4:30 stare into the abyss,
5:00 solve world hunger,

...tell {b]no** one

I have to go see it w/o the kids just to write down the good ones- there’s sigs a plenty just waiting…

In the book the Oompa Loompas were basically African Pygmies. The illustrations of them looked nothing like the depiction they got in the movie.