This new site is great

Check your badges.

Well, I managed to get my tablet to log in here.

Mine here too. Had to try the Quotation thing, and “tag,” you’re it!

It’ll take a little getting used to, but hey, my Grandmom once slapped some new paint on the walls, replaced the plastic furniture covers, and moved everything around. If I can get over that childhood shock, I think this’ll be okay.

Tripler
Oh! They even put in a “government ficus” in the corner SDMB lobby over there!

Looking forward to when we get the “warned” and “banned” badges.

I’m really liking the new SDMB light skin. For people who like dark skins, there’s an SDMB dark skin also. Easier to read and formatted in a familiar way.

I just learned about in post polls, spoiler boxes (gear thingy in the reply box) and posting articles by just pasting the url in a single line. It formats the article with source and everything. So cool!

Those things, along with automatic preview, saved drafts, real time responding. There are some neat features here.

I’m looking forward to finding out more about the place.

So all of us who don’t have much money can expect to be kicked off the board sooner or later because we can’t afford new computers?

Eventually, yes, probably. I recently had to change from using my trusty old box for my message boardin’ because it wouldn’t support a newer version of Chrome, so my Discourse boards wouldn’t load (I’d see the buttons and headers, but everything else was blank). So now I have to use my “good” computer.

This was their statement when they dropped support for IE:

Doubt it’ll happen soon, though, not unless you’re already teetering on the edge.

I am often teetering on various edges.

If the Powers That Be have really landed us someplace where it’s assumed that only people with money ought to be posting, I’m going to be really ticked off.

If they recently dropped a single seven-year-old browser, but different browsers will run on the same computers, that’s not a big deal. If they’re not supporting fifteen or twenty year old computers, that’s not such a big deal either, because by then so many other things won’t work on them that they’re not much good online in general. But if Discourse is only functional with updates that require a computer less than six or eight years old to run, that’s IMO an entirely unreasonable barrier to access. It’s probably going to cut out people posting from library devices, also.

This site actually works well on very old or very cheap hardware provided the operating system is modern. For a free solution check out this tutorial on installing Xubuntu 20.04

Do note that Xubuntu is Linux, not MacOS or Windows, and will not be compatible with software that runs exclusively on those platforms. With that said, there’s always a software solution to these problems and I’d be happy to help anyone with questions, etc.

This is assuming you can’t just update your browser. :grinning:

Not a problem yet, I hope; current devices were a present from family a year and a half ago.

My experience has been that at six to eight years I can’t any longer update either browser or operating system on old hardware; and high percentages of things online have in the meantime been redesigned to need massively higher computer speed than was needed to accomplish the same things a few years previously. (I know that the higher computer speed also allows accomplishing different things; but those aren’t usually the things I’m trying to do.)

I haven’t tried getting into installing alternate operating systems. Maybe I’ll be back in a few years asking you about installing Xubuntu or something on a minimac and an ipad; though it sounds as though I’d need to learn how to do that, and how to use the OS, and how to use whatever software it does work with.

If lots of things are no longer working right, even if I’m grumbly about planned obsolescence I’ll figure I’m stuck with it. If it’s just the one message board, though – however much I love it, either that or a new computer is a lot to be expected to go through for it.

Yeah, it’s so easy to go negative whenever there’s change. I have my own issues. BUT!

1. No server errors!
  2. The red “last visit” line. I was skeptical at first, but I like it now. I don’t need to hit “Mark all forums read” anymore.
  3. Opening a thread takes you to the last place you were. Awesome!
  4. Quote system vastly superior once you figure it out.
  5. Vastly more emojis! :love_you_gesture: :heart_eyes: :+1:
  6. Neat spoiler graphic.
  7. Live preview!

The one thing that annoys me is those damn messages about how squiggy last posted 6 months ago. Come on, do we really need that?

Besides the pervasive nannytude is the insistence that we all be one big happy family with joy-joy feelings for everyone.

Test of quoting a post.

ETA: Well, that didn’t work.

So is there a way to quote someone without having to highlight their text? I thought I read somewhere that you could but searching for “quote” is useless.

I’m getting used to the new site. I hate infinite scroll and would consider quitting my (programmer) job if forced to implement it on my users but I will say Discourse makes it as user-friendly as I’ve ever seen. Which means I want to stab out just one eye with a blunt pencil.

Click the light blue “Reply” button. In the edit box, at the far left is a button with a “speech bubble”. That will insert the entire quoted post. Edit as you wish then use the darker blue “Reply” button to post.

All about quoting, notifications,and formatting.

Ah, nice! Thanks coach! I’m not a fan of the two-click approach but I suppose that works well enough.

First go to the post you want to quote.

Then simply press the key “j” on your keyboard to select the post. You may need to press “k” next if the selected post is not the one you want to quote. Play with “j” and “k” a little to see how it works. Then press “q” and the reply box will open with the entire post quoted in there.

This is not how I did it now. I will do it in my next post.