This new site sucks!

This is better than the main page: https://boards.straightdope.com/c/main/6

Hope that helps some folks.

ETA: I’m disappointed that all of the previous coding doesn’t translate to this new software. All the old posts are hopelessly cluttered with code now. And all the links to quoted posts don’t work, natch.

Just got a Bad Gateway pop up when I posted a reply to a Thread Games thread (but the message did post) Yikes!

I leave for one month and look what happens!

Works very nicely on the phone, so much better than the vbulletin site.

1 Like

I’ll be the alternate voice to say I’m thrilled about the change. Much more modern, easy to use & a clean, simple navigation. Some bugs and quirks to get used to but overall I’m a fan.

1 Like

haven’t found dark mode yet: what’s that?

All your posts are peppered with AI-generated ennui.

The interface reminds me of message boards in the 90s. Is this the finished site or is this part of the transition?

Horrible eyesore, is it 1998 already? But I guess one will become inured.
More annoying, many posts are hidden behind extra clicks, can’t see myself bothering to read them (as has been the case encountering this elsewhere).

One definite improvement though, the dates now make sense.

I really don’t understand if we can have new subscribed threads here, and if so, if they can be set to email daily like the old board.

I’m seeing the question about Dark mode in a number of threads, so instead of replying 20 time, I fugured I’d add a how to guide:

In the upper right of the screen, click on your icon/avatar

Click on your user name

In the list that appears, click on Settings

In the menu on the left, select Interface

Under Theme, select Dark and then scroll down and Save

Vincent theme is also dark - kind of a midnight blue.

I like Vincent best, too.

I chose Vincent, too. Much easier on the eyes. And this is my first post. Yay!

It’s not that bad, assuming the quote feature works…

ETA: Hurray!

ETA 2: I find the “discourse classic” theme pleasant enough, at least on an iPad. Just a touch of gray to the background.

“Subscription” kinda happens automatically. You can change what is considered New in Preferences >> Notifications. Set a thread to Tracking or Watched to keep a close eye on it. Set it to Normal to just let it sit there. And set it to Muted to never see it again.

You can also Bookmark threads, which works similar to Subscribed Threads on the old board.

Go to Preferences >> Email to change what gets emailed to you.

Thanks! But as far as what gets emailed, it doesn’t appear to have the option of a daily email.

No “settings” menu I can find on my phone. Are there themes available for Android? (Preferably one without a font size intended for someone with 20/200 vision.)

I think that’s Enable Mailing List Mode, but be goddamn careful with that. I’ve seen it crash servers.

Click on your avatar, then on the bell.