This question may be a little, er, morbid, but...

I and a number of my friends have been wondering about this for some time: Can you pre-sell your corpse? As in, you know, when you die, your dead body goes to whoever you sold it to, and it’s at their disposal. I know a body can be donated to science, but maybe I’m not much into that whole charity jazz.
Still… I am curious as to whether there are laws against this. I can imagine many legal issues stemming from this, of course, contracts would probably have to be involved. And whoever might buy a dead body may not be the sort of person you’d want to deal with.
Curiosity, it killed the cat. But could the cat pre-sell its corpse to buy kibble when it’s really down on it’s luck?

-NC
“Laughter is the best medicine. Unless you’re diabetic. Then I suppose the best medicine would be, say, insulin.”
<Norm MacDonald>

I cannot believe that this is a legitimate busniess, although I would surely advocate the consumption of human flesh as a great means of food production. Why are we wasting valuable land mass to stand rocks up in?

My understanding is that the handling of human remains is a fairly regulated thing… for example you can’t have your body stuffed and put in your living room. There are certainly other things that you can with your remains besides put them in the ground:

1. Cremate the remains and scatter or keep the ashes

2. Donate your body to a university or other scientific organization for study

3. Freeze your body or parts thereof

4. Donate parts of your body upon death (e.g. eyes, kidneys, heart etc.)

But I’m pretty sure you can’t just give your body in its natural state to someone else or a business not associated with the above activities… but I could be wrong.

If you have your corpse or your head frozen by a cryogenics joint, do they then own your body?

Commonsensically, it seems not, since the whole idea is that you would be brought back to life, and they wouldn’t own you then . . . well, unless the laws have changed by then. (That’d be a great sci fi story. Corpsicle is revived, given to second lease on life–as a slave! Dum dum DUM!)

Does the cemetary own your remains once you’re buried there? They do disturb really old graves to make room for new ones in crowded places, don’t they?