Thor: Ragnarok trailer

Superheroes, especially on the screen, are inherently a bit silly. Thor and Asgard are particularly silly. I don’t think a serious Thor movie would work.

[Moderating]
Merged threads

The director is a quirky New Zealander named Taka Waititi. He’s a comedian, and did the comedy Hunt for the Wilder People, and the very, very funny Team Thor shorts. Some of that humour has spilled over into the movie. I assume that includes the 80s graphics.

I think the Marvel movies have realized this and have embraced the action/comedy style for superhero movies. If you go the serious route you run into the problems the DC movies have.

This looks like pure joy on celluloid, plus I love that they have gone for a Kirby look with bright colours and astounding hats.

It’s nice to not be alone…don’t get me wrong, I really like the Guardians*, but on their own with their own brand of humor and style. Yes, I know I am in a vast minority, but I didn’t have a problem at all with the styling of the first two Thor movies. I feel like The Dark World would have done at least a little, probably not a lot, but a little better if Kenneth Branagh had returned to the director’s helm.

I haven’t cared for What We Do In The Shadows in what I’ve seen of it and admittingly groaned again for the fourth time when I read of Mr. Waititi’s taking on the director’s helm for Thor: Ragnarok. My first time being the reveal of Hulk being in the film too and making it more of an ‘Avengers instead of just Thor’ flick and/or buddy comedy, the second being the IMO silly shorts/trailers before this one, and the third being when it became incredibly apparent that Enchantress is never going to be a featured villain(ess) in one of these movies (something I had been waiting for since the first film). This trailer, combined with everybody talking (at least on YouTube) about the use of “Immigrant Song” more than anything else in the movie (save maybe, MAYBE Cate Blanchett and Jeff Goldblum) has not only made me feel not at all guilty of doing all of that groaning, but I also feel like if it weren’t for the use of that tune and the ‘Guardians’ vibe everyone says it induces, the initial reception would be right there with the other two films (and in both’s cases, especially the first one (again, I wish Branagh had directed The Dark World), such a reception was very undeserved).

• Guardians Of The Galaxy is easily among my top favorite Marvel movies, along with Doctor Strange (my absolute top fave if I had to choose…FREAKIN’ LOVED IT more than the others), Ant-Man, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and yes, Thor…both the first film and The Dark World. But especially the first film with its having more of a Shakespearian feel during its Asgard scenes…one more time, with feeling, Branagh so should have been The Dark World’s director.

They used her sister in AoS, so it’s still possible.

I’ve seen lots of people talking about (and giffing) the"Yes" and “He’s a friend from work” bits, celebrating the helmet and Loki tossing knives.

Three Marvel movies come out this year - Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, out in a couple of weeks; Spider-Man Homecoming, out July, and Thor Ragnarok, in November. It’s Marvelpalooza.

DC also have Wonder Woman and Justice League, but I don’t care about those.

Definitely got a Guardians vibe from this, which works for now.
And using Immigrant Song was a fun choice.

But I do expect some more grit in the movie itself. It’s only a trailer after all, not revealing much of the actual plot.
Jeff Goldblum’s look was meh, but then again it was totally in line with Del Toro’s Collector. And those are related (same race at least) so I guess it works.
But seeing Hela almost exactly like she looks in the comics was cool.
And wtf–did Mjolnir get destroyed? I guess the rumors of him wielding an axe were true then.
Interesting…

I loved the trailer - its a fun trailer - which is the current norm for them… We are stoked to see this film.

Of course, with the way Marvel is hitting it out of the park with them, they could put out a bad trailer and we would still see it. Case in point - Logan - the trailer(s) never once made me want to see the movie as they made no sense to me - but the movie ended up being very good despite the trailers.

GotG set the new bar for trailers and all are trying to copy it. Suicide Squad did great trailers and a not so great movie.

I’m not a big Thor fan, I’d actually prefer a World War Hulk movie to this.

The trailer looks fun, though, and I almost always like Cate Blanchett.

Is this story one that they did in the comic books?

I’m a big Thor fan and I never thought one Thor movie would be made much less three.

Looks like a lot of fun and Hela looks great.

Anyway that Goldblum’s character is the Grandmaster or has he already appear in the Marvel movies?

Also the incredibly funny “What we do in the shadows”. Which he also stars in.

Yeah, the “He’s a friend from work” line has so of much a WWDitS ring to it.

And I’ve got to say, Hemsworth totally nails it. Here he is enslaved and forced to fight in an arena… and he’s happy, because fighting is fun, and he’s even happier because he’s going to get to have fun with a friend. They could so easily have gone grimdark with that… and I’m glad they didn’t.

Goldblum is debuting as the Grandmaster. Benicio del Toro has already appeared as the Collector.

Kind of sort of…

It look like it is taking a lot from a lot of different stories.
Like Planet Hulk where Hulk becomes a gladiator on an alien world.
A lot of Walter Simonson’s run on Thor. Skurge the Executioner dual-wielding M-16s is straight from one of the best moments in that run.

I don’t know if this is true–but I think it might take some elements of the post Civil War-era comics with Thor where the Asgradians are kind of scattered and amnesiac.

His reaction is the same as when in the first Thor he’s stripped of his powers, banished to Earth and at his lowest ebb, and then The Warriors Three show up and his response is just unbridled joy, “Hey, my mates are here!”. Thor is not a complicated guy, and Hemsworth just sells that part of his character.

DigitalC -

I didn’t realise he directed that film. Which, indeed, was outstanding.

Ah, I had assumed that Goldblum was taking over from del Toro in the role of the Collector.