Thor: Ragnarok trailer

How many “standalone” movies have we gotten since IM3? Winter Soldier had Romanov, Civil War was basically Avenger 2.5. Dark World, maybe

Plus, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange.

Ant-Man had a plot-significant Falcon cameo.

There still haven’t been any other movies headlining Hulk, with or without cameos from others.

Though Civil War really should have been headlined as an Avengers movie, not as a Captain America.

Here’s a funny teaser about Thor on his off time.

StG

Not to be overly pedantic, but ‘The Elders of the Universe’ (Collecter, Grandmaster, et al) are not the same race, but each of them are the sole survivor of various now extinct races. In the original comics anyways, who knows in the MCU.

It’s already been announced, I believe, that in the MCU the Collector and the Grandmaster are brothers.

Not really. The entire “We need to heist the McGuffin device from an old Stark warehouse to do…something” was basically an exercise of introducing Scott Lang to another Avenger so that there would be a reason he is called upon in Civil War.

The trailer to Thor: Ragnarok is so entertaining, with enough narrative to give an idea of the story without giving away too many plot points, a great backing track, and the humor of Thor recognizing Hulk, along with the clearly 'Eighties high fantasy inspired titles and color scheme, that I kind of don’t care if the film actually lives up to it (although I think it will). I actually enjoyed the first Thor film (the second not so much) and rank it in the upper tier of MCU films, and Chris Hemsworth’s obtuse-but-not-stupid characterization is pitch perfect for the character. “You people are so petty…and tiny.”

Stranger

Wasn’t that Thor/Daryl clip the same as the one that they ran back during Civil War? Or at least, mostly the same. It’s not a teaser for Ragnarok.

Yeah, they just mashed together the original and the new one. Out of order at that.
Though I do love the captions “Thor Odinson” and “Darryl Jacobson”.

I really enjoyed the trailer. I forgot that Ragnarok was rescheduled to this year and was expecting it to hit in 2018, so this is a pleasant surprise. Thor was fine but not my thing, and Dark World was meh with an excellent ending fight scene, but perhaps I will find Ragnarok more appealing.

I saw it more as Thor being excited because he assumed that he and the Hulk would team up and fight their way out. Right after “he’s a friend from work”, Thor appears to begrudgingly take up the fight once it’s clear that the Hulk is going to attack him.

I dunno, if that’s what he was planning, then I don’t think he would have announced to the whole audience that they knew each other. Thor isn’t that unsubtle that he’d warn his enemies of an impending team-up-and-attack.

Or it could be a trailer-only gag that isn’t actually in the film, like Nebula getting hit by a blast and Drax relieved that it wasn’t him. I don’t think that’s the case here, but Marvel has done it before.

Stranger

I don’t think it’s either “Yay, I get to fight the Hulk!” or “The rest of you are so screwed!” Thor is uncomplicated enough that just seeing his green buddy after a long absence is enough to get him excited, no matter what the other circumstances are. Like Threepio being so happy to see Artoo in the Jawa sandcrawler.

He’s not announcing it to the whole audience; he’s telling Loki, who is sitting with Grandmaster and Valkyrie looking bemused by his reaction.

Presumably, they’re in the midst of a Loki scheme where Thor has to fight the Grandmaster’s champion for… reasons.

Why would he be telling Loki? Loki already knows the Hulk; the big green guy was the lynchpin of his whole “get captured on purpose” plan in The Avengers.

Though I didn’t realize that Loki was in that scene, so nice catch!

New trailer. I like it! The Magic Sword soundtrack was a nice touch.

Exactly. People are reading way too much into this. He thought he was going to have this mighty battle…sees his friend and is elated that it isn’t going to h…oh you have got to be kidding…

this just keeps getting better.

Ugh. The new trailer shows that they’ve apparently done what I feared: turned Thor into comic relief. :frowning:

I may not go see it in the theaters.