Those antenae stickers for cell phones. Do they work?

You know what I’m talking about. They claim that putting this little wire sticker thing near the battery that you can ‘boost’ the signal on a cell phone. Anyone know if they actually work?

I’m very leary. It seems to me that if a $1 sticker with some wire in it can boost the signal, that phone manufacturers would have those built in already. But I’m looking for any hard facts on this. Can anyone help me on this?

No they don’t. Pure, unmitigated snake oil. I have found the best cure for a weak signal is to upgrade to a newer, better phone when your plan rolls around . It makes all the difference in the world.

I found what appears to be a relatively unbiased test here. The researcher found that the stick-on antenna booster did work, to a point, but nowhere near as well as the advertising claims would have you believe. The idea is based on a sound principle of RF design: passive reradiation (also known as parasitic reradiation). The tuned circuit formed by the traces on the stick-on booster captures some of the RF signal and reradiates it, slightly increasing the amount of signal received by the cell phone’s antenna. However, I still have my doubts. Effective use of passive reradiation requires that the parastic element be located so as to cause the reradiation to arrive at the primary antenna element in phase. This principle is used in the Yagi antenna, a common example of which is the rooftop TV antenna. Various elements use passive reradiation to enhance the signal coming from one direction, while attenuating it in the other (by causing the reradiation to arrive at the primary element out of phase). This gives the Yagi antenna its high gain and directionality. I would like to see a more rigorous and scientifically conducted study using proper controls and double-blinding techniques.

I wish he had included links to the KC and TN tests that he talks about. I realize that he says “The chart has been simplified and the jargon is put in layman’s terms.”, but I think too much is missing. There are no units listed and the title is clearly wrong. I would agree that the graph looks like it agrees with his interpretation, but too much information is missing. Also: not all cell companies use the bars to mean the same thing. It is possible that the y-axis is being related to C/I, but these numbers may not even be logarithmic. I think it would have better if he had used just one model booster.

I am not comforted by the fact that he links to particular boosters and says to stay away from others, but this could be innocent helpfulness, I guess.

BTW, this issue has been covered a couple of times before.

just buy a newer phone. with my newer phone i basically get reception everywhere, including elevators.

I actually worked great in my cell phone. I have the latest and greatest Nokia and reception is marginal where I live. I got one free with a new faceplate and it made a difference. Reception is clearer at fringe areas and I don’t drop off when I lose reception for a few seconds. And I remember my brother paying $20 for one just a few years ago.

I have found that it works somewhat at my house. I live about three miles outside of town and all the repeaters are facing town. So I am on the backside of the “network” of repeaters. The cheapo booster does allow me to use the phone at the house MOST OF THE TIME. But in town there is no difference.

If anyone ever wants to try them you can go on ebay and get 100 of them for about 10 bucks including shipping!