Thread resurrection.

I just thoughtlessly resurrected an older thread (not THAT old, but from the tail end of April, and probably now irrelevant). Is there anything I should do besides wait for it to die out again on its own? Is this the sort of thing that should be reported to moderators?

I’m a long-term lurker and just recently started posting again, so I’m a little rusty on precisely how not to be a jerk…advice on the above issue would be appreciated!

•Cook up some noodles, preferably linguine or fettuccine, but spaghetti will do in a pinch.
•Do NOT drain. Place the noodles in the fridge to cool.
•Pick out a nice long slippery noodle.
•Lash yourself with it, 50 times.
•That is all.

It broke on the 38th lash and then I ate it, so I just made a new one and started over. Hope that will suffice.

When in doubt, contact the mods amd admins. Express your humblest apologies, and seek forgiveness.

Seriously – if you have concerns, get in touch with the staff.

More than sufficient. I noticed after posting that you’re a 99’er, and I a feckless newb. The pots a-bubblin, and I’ve added the pasta. I look forward to atoning for my presumption, then LUNCH!

Posting to the a thread six weeks after the last post is nothing. IMO

Here’s a thread that was brought back after 15 months.

Perfect example.

Like so much here, it’s a case by case basis, pretty much.

Sometimes it’s appropriate to bring something back; when that happens, nary a complaint you’ll get from me.

It’s inappropriate when it’s done for no good reason. Classic example: Some people like to spam the board by dragging up old threads and adding one-word replies. We always kill those and ban the offender.

It’s also inappropriate when the thread is filled with traffic by former members who are no longer here – whether banned or just folks that didn’t subscribe, they can’t answer and as such it’s unfair.

When in doubt, ask us. Or if you think it needs more discussion or want to take it in a new direction, start a new thread and reference the old one, links are always fine.

In some areas, it’s more of a problem than others; check with the moderators of that particular forum if you have a question.

your humble TubaDiva

Well, I did it by accident, basically – searched for a type of thread, started reading one, and forgetting that it wasn’t a recent one, replied. But, it’s not heinously old, and it appears to be dying a natural second death (I think all the other people on the board who could have plausibly replied did so the first time around). Probably no big deal, but I get a little board-paranoid at times.

Life lesson #1: use the mods to the fullest extent of the law.

Here’s my rule for resurrecting threads in General Question.

You are welcome to resurrect ANY thread at ANY time as long as you are posting NEW, FACTUAL INFORMATION to that thread. If you just want to make a random comment as to your opinion, or a joke, then DON’T DO IT!

We LIVE for posters to email us, asking questions. We’re the “Maytag Repairmen” of the Board. :smiley:

The policy that **samclem[b/] enunciated is basically true also for Comments on Cecil’s Columns, Comments on Staff Reports, and Cafe Society, modified slightly:

You are welcome to resurrect ANY thread at ANY time as long as you are posting NEW, FACTUAL INFORMATION or SIGNIFICANT COMMENT/OPINION to that thread. If you just want to make a random passing comment as to your opinion, or a joke, then DON’T DO IT!