Three men freeze to death in a friend's backyard and aren't found for three days

Ha, I used to live there. :smiley:

(Never had moonshine there though, only in Tennessee.)

Isn’t removing clothing the classic symptom of hyperthermia? They think they’re hot just before dying.

They didn’t just get too drunk and wake up dead, sheesh. It’s a suburban backyard, they didn’t fall off an iceberg.

It’s the first in a knockoff franchise starring Pitbull, Triple H, Nina Dobrev, Jai Courtney, Adrianne Palicki, and Ronda Rousey about a group of car thieves who hijack a secret Chinese spaceplane in order to intercept North Korean terrorists led by Hapkido master Steven Seagal intent on destroying the International Space Station. Gary Busey has a cameo as US President Pappas who goes on an unhinged rant about the liberal agenda and BIBLE (“Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth”) and then signs off with the catchphrase, "I will rip our your spleen and eat it like a banana!” (This wasn’t actually in the script and Busey wasn’t even supposed to be in the movie but he just wandered on set one day and started ranting, and director Uwe Boll just edited it into the movie.)

Stranger

Yeah, it’s not like they were trapped there. And surely one of them had his car key in his pocket. They would have had to be pretty damn drunk not to think of sitting in a car at least. Of course, we will never know what they were thinking. The toxicology report should be of some help. Opioids could have knocked them out. It’s just strange that whatever it was happened to all three at apparently the same time.

I mean that is completely plausible, in freezing temperatures anything that makes you lie still for any length of time is lethal. Cases like the one posted above, where someone decides to walk home drunk (or otherwise inebriated) and freezes to death (presumably after sitting down for “just a minute”) are very common.

Its less plausible that they should all get drunk enough to lie still and freeze to death at the same time in someones back garden (and their friend who’s garden it is doesn’t check on them for three days!)

As other posters have pointed out some kind of opioid being involved would explain the facts more plausibly.

From the article:
“She was inadequately dressed for the frigid weather, wearing only a t-shirt, jeans, and shoes, with additional clothing items found nearby.”

Sounds like [paradoxical undressing.]
Strange that the article didn’t mention it.
("Terminal burrowing behaviour"--a phenomenon of lethal hypothermia - PubMed)

Did anyone else open this thread thinking it might be a joke?

Three men walk into a bar…

That’s it, case solved. You can’t argue with that.

Many people that posted have speculated that drugs were involved.

I agreed. It is odd that all 3 were too incapacitated to call for help. No information was provided about the yard fencing. Maybe the gate was padlocked?

It’s very strange.

I’m seriously questioning whether it was accidental, but I can be the suspicious type.

here:

No mention of locks.

That sounds like a accident waiting to happen.

It’ll be interesting to see if more details come out.

The weather that day was near 0°F, and the men had almost certainly been drinking. Just plain ethanol does a body no favors in hard cold. At that temperature, they could have been incapacitated within half an hour.

Why wouldn’t they try breaking a window to get inside?

Well, not waiting any longer.

I wonder if they went outside to smoke? If they were drunk, a cigar might have taken long enough to cloud their judgement, and if it was pot, even more so.

Does pot affect your cold tolerance/awareness?

You think a fence around a backyard is “an accident waiting to happen”? Probably 75% of all suburban houses in the USA have a fence around the back yard.

Color me baffled.

Hypothermia. Hyperthermia is abnormally HIGH body temperature.

D’oh

Thank you for the correction.