Time Change

Can anyone give me a reasonable justification for knocking our schedules out of kilter for an hour twice a year?

I don’t care if we stick with “Standard” time or use “Daylight Savings” time all year. But let’s just decide which one we like and stay with it permanently.

Okay?

I believe they messed with the time thing in 1973/4. When I went to school,it was dark as the first class began. Totally strange!

Righto… it is strange… i hate going out in the dark in the morning and coming home in the dark ugh… just bring me some daylight and I will be happy.

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

Does it really matter if it is dark in the morning or dark at night…it is still dark. I vote for just not messing with the clocks… it always takes me hours to figure out how to change these digital things… and why can’t they make them all alike!!!

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Move to Arizona. They don’t do the switch there. I can’t recall if they are always on standard or always on daylight, but I know they are always on one or the other, 365.

Stoid? do I actually have to live there or can I just send ya my clocks?

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

We don’t change here in Indiana. Only good thing about the damn state.

–John

Miksch’s Law- It’s better to have a horrible ending than horrors without end.

Thank you, Stoid.
From now on, I’m on my own damn schedule. I will be there if I say I’ll be there, but I am no longer abiding by these changeable clocks. If anyone complains, I’ll just casually say:
“I’m on Arizona Time.”

Ai\John - it depends on where in Indiana you live. South Bend is always on Eastern Standard Time. I live about an hour away in the Central Time Zone. In the summer, we’re on the same time (CDT=EST), but in the winter, I have to leave at 6:00 to make an 8:00 appointment in SB.

It’s pretty clear that SDMB users are smarter than everybody else. So when are we gonna take over and throw out this daylight savings rubbish?

If Illinois got its act together, as most of Indiana did, then those of us in northwestern Indiana wouldn’t have to put up with this malarky. Cecil should be using his power to change things in Chicago.

IM pretty sure cecil has covered this one but im too miffed from the time change to search for his article.

Arizona is always on Mountain Standard Time, which equals Pacific Daylight-savings Time.

This must play havoc with their TV scheduling. When I lived in Colorado, we were shown TV shows at the same moment as the East Coast (8 Eastern/7 Central/6 Mountain). (Pacific delays for 3 hours, so their local air time is the same as Eastern.) Does AZ delay an hour so the advertized time for Mountain matches when they show it?

*orangecakes: I believe they messed with the time thing in 1973/4. When I went to school,it was dark as the first class began. Totally strange! *

I remember this too. It was an attempt to get more evening daylight to save energy. (Remember the energy crisis?) It also meant kids went to school in the dark. I remember the sun didn’t rise until halfway through first period.

They (whoever decreed this) didn’t realize that for every hour they got in the evening, they’d lose one in the morning. Sure, during the summer this doesn’t matter; who gets up at 4:30 am anyways? But when standard sunrise isn’t until 7:30 in December?

Maybe this is why Ford didn’t win in 1976.

What really pisses me off is when ‘they’ say, “Oh and we all get an extra hour of sleep tomorrow”…what kind of bullshit is that? 24 hours is 24 hours no matter how you fuck it up.
I miss Indy. Never having to change the clocks. And I must say there are many great and wonderful things about Indy, you just have to know where to look.

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

– Albert Einstein

Yeah, Indiana is great. You folks really know how to. . . fertilize.

the straight dope as I hear it is this: William Willet, some builder guy in london, noticed all the people who didn’t utilize the long days during the summer. They stayed inside until their normal time even though the sun was up early. He thus proposed setting up a “Summer Time” system by changing the clocks by an hour during summer months. He died in 1915, but in 1916, Parliament passed an act setting an official summer time clock changing. During WWI, people realized how much fuel was saved by doing this, and during WWII they even set them 2 hours ahead during the summer. Also during WWII, the US adopted the plan.
In 1966, the Uniform Time Act was passed by congress setting a system of daylight savings time for each time zone. In the us as of 1986, the clocks are set ahead an hour a 2am on the 1st sat of april, and set back at 2am on the last sunday in october. In europe, they set them ahead at 1am GMT the last sunday in march and set them back a 1am GMT on the last sunday in october. Those states or territories requesting not to abide by dst don’t have to and include: Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana, and by most of Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Indian Reservation in Arizona).

The only thing a nonconformist hates more than a conformist is another nonconformist who does not conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

Nope. They typically don’t advertise shows as being “Mountain time” there- you get the standard “8 Eastern/7 Central” messages on network TV.

I’ve never heard the “Navajo Reservation” exception though.

I heard that it was actually Benjamin Franklin who first proposed Daylight-saving time, but in his method, we’d be on Standard time in the summer, and on DST in the winter. In other words, set the clocks back an hour in October, forward an hour in April. That way, sunrise would be early in winter. His idea was not accepted–too far ahead of its time. :wink:

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

Kaje gives a thorough explanation of its origins, but I have yet to hear a compelling reason to continue the practice.