Time for another "I just got laid off" thread.

That’s horrible news in any economy, but moreso in this one. Good luck on your future hunt.

We did layoffs twice last year for similar reasons, I managed to make it through, but one of my friends was let go in the first round.

He said he packed up his stuff…got in his car…got halfway home…stopped the car and stood outside looking at the world with the biggest grin on his face. He thinks the company did him a favor.

One of my other friends was let go later in a different round. For a few weeks she was really upset and shell shocked. But she’s also come around to believing it was time…just needed a push out the door to do something different.

However, in both these cases there was severance and some resources to fall back on…I think that can make the landing a little softer.

I got laid off two years ago. Yes, I had severance and some savings… but my current poverty sucks and I have not yet found steady full time work.

On the other hand, now that I’m away from my prior employment, where people were getting VERY stressed out over laid offs, restructurings, office politics, etc. I’m a lot healthier both physically and mentally. So in that respect, despite some hardship, I’m much better off than I was in some ways.

Good luck! And I have an interview on Tuesday.

muses

It’s not too late to kidnap you and take your place, is it?

No need. I muffed it.

Sorry to hear it. :frowning:

Well, uh, damn.

I just got offered my old job back.

Turns out the boss underestimated the new workflow and they laid off one too many employees. I suspected as much, but I also figured the boss for one to not admit error and go back on his decisions. Go figure.

It’s just as well. DES was being a right jerk about paying me unemployment. :smack:

Congrats? Now save some of your income so that next time you won’t have a reason to call yourself foolish.

That…pretty much sums up how I feel about it, actually. I accepted, of course, but it’s a strange situation.

Too right. This was one giant ball of wake-up call stress.