Time to make green tomato sauce

We had a hard freeze last night. The tomato plants are goners. I’ve got pounds of green 'maters I don’t want to go to waste. I’ve never made green tomato sauce before, but googled up some recipes.

Anyone ever made it? I suppose it will be a bit more tart, and of course green.

No! I’m not making ten pounds of fried green tomatoes. Too much work, not that healthy, and these tomatoes have been frozen & now defrosted, so they’re too soft for that anyway.

Any variations of green tomato sauce you’re fond of? I was also thinking green tomato salsa. I’ve got some cilantro to use up, too.

Green tomato sauce sounds interesting! Could you make some veggie pasta with green sauce? That would be a great thing to serve to guests!

Most recipes I called up are vegetarian, except some call for cream, or sour cream. I’m sure a vegetarian cook could work around that.

I don’t think I’m going to make it a cream sauce. I’ll just do a basic green tomato sauce, garlic, basil, onion, etc, then portion and freeze it. I can always doctor separate batches later.

A few years back I canned a green tomato salsa using the dregs and overabundance of the garden and it was pretty damn good. It had an unmatched, “fresh” and “green” flavor even after being canned and put up for months.

In the same breath, even though I hate to, I would warn about certain intestinal dangers involved with the overconsumption of green tomatoes. Perhaps it is just me, but green tomatoes tend to make me rather “loose” and painfully gassy. Is it just me or have others noticed this effect?

That said, my green salsa was a very simple recipe. It wasn’t entirely green tomatoes, as I used some ripe and partially ripe tomatoes, but the majority were green. I basically roasted the green tomatoes on a cookie sheet with some peeled onions and a good quantity of peeled garlic cloves until browned and softened. Then I Blended them in a blender with the last of the fresh hot peppers from the garden (jalapenos, habaneros, cayenne.), reserving about half of the chopped chiles to add at the end. I then transferred that to a pot and added a good amount of salt, a small amount of vinegar, a small amount of sugar, and brought the salsa to a boil and a simmer for about ten minutes. I turned it off and let it cool to just barely warm… and at the very end, just before jarring/canning the lot I stirred in lots of chopped fresh cilantro, the juice of several fresh squeezed limes, and the remaining reserved chopped chiles. I added those ingredients at the end to the cooled salsa to layer the freshness over the cooked salsa and give it a little texture, true spicieness/heat, and retain the zing and freshness of the lime juice. Then I filled the jars, and hot canned them, or sealed them in boiling water for about ten minutes. Great on tacos or with tortilla chips, and it used up everything left of the garden.

I’m pretty sure green tomato sauce (and most other green tomato products) are made with actual green tomatoes, not red tomatoes that are green because they aren’t ripe yet. The only thing I’ve ever heard of unripe [green] red tomatoes being used for is fried green tomatoes.

Hm. It remains unclear to me. This article about green tomatoes sounds as if we are talking about unripe, green tomatoes.

I’m thinking green, unripe tomatoes are a poor man’s tomatillo. :smiley:

devilsknew, that salsa sounds good. I don’t have fresh jalapeno or habanero, but I’ve got a couple Thai Dragon & chiltepin pepper plants covered with fruit.

Interesting. Do you have a cite for that? I’ve always thought green tomatoes were unripe red tomatoes. Are there tomatoes that stay green? I’m fairly sure most of the recipes I’ve seen for green tomatoes mean unripened tomatoes.

Anyhow, green (unripened) tomatoes are quite wonderful pickled, as well.

Have you ever had Tomolives? They’re awesome. I can eat 'em by the jar. They say they’re made from a unique tomato, but I think they’re just unripe grape tomatoes.

Gee, thanks! The tomolives are all out of stock!:mad:

Tells you how good they are! :wink:

They’re not the sort of thing you have to order online, like bacon salt. If you search around your local area, you should be able to find them somewhere. If not at a grocer, then maybe a well-stocked liquor store or gourmet place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s or someplace.

Yes, exactly. I was basically using a composite of tomatillo salsa verde recipes that I had seen to guide my recipe -I think I drew heavily from a recipe that I had seen Rick Bayless make on one of his PBS programs.

Sorry I can’t give you exact measurements, but I just eyeballed it, and tasted often as I went along. You’lll know what works for you as you taste, and that’s the beauty of it. It wasn’t really quantifiable anyways because it used all of the remaining fruits of the garden, and that is of course going to be different than what you have.

I’m positive your chiles would work just fine…

I don’t know about around the world, but anything Mexican (or Texmex or southwestern or “fusion”, etc etc) with “green tomatoes”, including salsa verde, is made with tomatillos (which would seem to mean “little tomatoes” but it doesn’t in this case) - a green fruit that never turns red and is in a different genus than the tomato.

Like I said, I’ve never heard of unripe [green] red tomatoes being used in anything except fried green tomatoes; doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. In this part of the world, though, a green tomato is not an unripe red tomato.

Language difference then. “Little tomato” is completely distinct from Tomatillo in English. A little tomato is simply a little tomato. Green tomato and Tomatillo are definitely two different types of fruit, at least in my experience.

I don’t know what’s going on, on Tex-Mex menus though.

No, I specifically said it does not mean little tomato. It’s a tomatillo in Mexico and a green tomato everywhere else. Same fruit.

I don’t know what you mean now.

A tomatillo is green.

A green tomato is green.

A green apple is green.

A green onion is green.

a green grape is green.

Are all these things “tomatillo” in Mexico or something?

They’re not in the US.

A tomatillo is not a “green tomato” in English language recipes. It is a tomatillo. Tomatillos and green tomatoes are two completely different fruits. While I cannot speak definitively on every cookbook out there, I have never seen an English language recipe ask for “green tomatoes” when it wants tomatillos.

Note that the description contained therein calls for tomatillos, not “green tomatoes.” Here’s a recipe for salsa verde that does call for green tomatoes, and in that recipe, it’s clear that the author means green, unripened tomatoes, not tomatillos.

Also, note the author uses the terms in the way I’m familiar with:

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, and maybe in Arizona the language is different, but I have personally never heard anyone say “green tomato” when they mean “tomatillo.”