Tiny, unimportant things that folks get all bothered about

Poor baby! :slight_smile:

We once brought home a puppy, and the two adult male dogs we already had decided to mark him as territory. Nearly drowned the poor little guy, and his first bath in our family was immediately thereafter. Lovely welcome to the pack, guys.

Hubs ALWAYS closes the bathroom door now. Our idiot cat wants to play with the source of the liquid and is almost tall enough to reach.

Toilet seat and lid always down unless in use because we have always had pets.

I’ve moved to so many different places with completely different cultures that none of it seems to matter anymore.

As a Mormon, there were so many things we got worked up about. I think easily 80% of what I learned was absurd self-congratulatory nonsense. “We are special because we don’t poison our bodies with caffeine! Yea for us!”

I see that a lot among Americans, Japanese, Taiwanese, golfers, hikers, photographers, etc., etc. All these are groups I’ve been in or been around.

I’m reminded of an assistant I had, years ago. She was Mormon, and while she didn’t care that I needed three mugs of coffee to get going in the mornings, or that I’d head outside for a few cigarettes during those three mugs, what got her was if I had McDonald’s for lunch two days in a row. “That’s unhealthy!”

Never mind. She was the best assistant I ever had, and I wish I could hire her again, her McDonald’s complaints notwithstanding.

One of the bathrooms can’t be closed off, because that’s where the cat’s litterbox is.

Hubs always closes the door when he is using the toilet. Kitties can cross their legs for that long, LOL. The doors are open otherwise.

“It’s a dry heat.” Don’t even say that shit to my face cause I am here to tell you that when it’s triple digit heat it doesn’t matter if it’s dry or not. It’s just fucking hot.

Having been in the desert and also Florida in a hot summer, I can tell you that 100F in a dry desert (and shade) is much more tolerable than 100F and 90% humidity. Neither one is pleasant, I will admit.

Nice advantage of dry heat is that wetting yourself is instant cooling. Not to mention, swamp coolers work. Disadvantage is keeping hydrated, and that means minerals also. I was working in the Arizona desert doing a ecological study, and about 2 we’d retire to a sunshade with icewater towels, drinks, etc. When I was in Florida, the only escape was airconditioning- which admittedly, there is a lot of.

Also here in SoCal, with the dry heat, once the sun goes down it cools off rapidly. At night, we can open the windows, turn on the fans, and turn off the AC. In Dallas and Fla, going outside at night was like a sauna.

Still, 100F+ is not pleasant.

And what’s with all the enlightened posters right here on the Dope who got so frothed up about that guy who always ended his posts with

There is, however, that nearby metropolis, Sacto. (I think you know the place?)

Happened to me once, while I was in mid-stream, so to speak. Not the easiest thing to stop doing quickly, and one wants to be very careful when handling a panicked and slippery cat while exposed parts of oneself are within clawing range.

Back to the tiny things topic - I was buying some aluminum square tubing to build a set of shelves, I asked what they had in the 2 x 4 inch size range, and the salesman said “Oh yeah, we have 4 x 2 stock in 1/8 inch wall thickness” I was just about to ask how that was different from 2 x 4, but managed to stop myself in time (unlike the kitten in the toilet situation)

I had a cat named San Francisco. But he was a cat, not a city, so he was known as Frisco. My ex and I loved San Francisco (the city) and our cat Frisco (the cat), whose legal name at the vet’s was San Francisco. Still, it caused some consternation at the vet’s:

“So you’ve booked an appointment for San Francisco?”

“Yes, and here he is.”

“Hello San Francisco. Let’s go and meet the doctor.”

“Ummm … just call him Frisco. He knows that name, and will respond to it.”

71 posts in and I’m still waiting for the discussion about shoes in the house.

I am always surprised to go to someone’s house where the lid isn’t down. Why have a lid and never use it?

Because home toilet seats come with lids.

Now, when i use an outhouse I’m very careful to shut the lid. It’s way less smelly walking in if the lid was left down. But my toilet flushes fine and doesn’t smell bad.

And if i visit a friend who leaves the seat up (most of my single male friends do so) i put it back up after i use the toilet.

Apologies. I didn’t mean to derail this into a toilet debate.

But, since I’m here - I put the seat only down, b/c my wife prefers it. No need for cover down. Just the 2 of us - it ain’t hard to avoid dropping things in.

My preference would be each person leaves it however they used it. That involves the least total effort over time. Other minor point - I’ve had toilets where the seat/lid kinda slam down if you aren’t careful and happen to lose your grasp on them. I always fear that might break the seat or crack the porcelain.

Not to extend the tangent on toilets too much more, but another reason to lower the lid before flushing - toilet plume.

Naw, that involves the non-trivial risk of falling into the toilet when you wake up in the middle of the night to pee. You shouldn’t need to put on your glasses and turn on the lights to take a pee at night, you should know where to expect the seat. I’d be happier with “always up” than with “i don’t know”.

Eh, those germs are already in residence in my gut and in my husband’s gut. And they aren’t doing us any harm.

I too prefer the look and protection of a closed lid. And I have a cap on my toothbrush too.

I do know some need to keep the lid up because sometimes every second counts :wink:

TV does no research. If they did, they’d know there’s no such place as “Banger” Maine. It doesn’t matter that other Bangors in the US are pronounced Banger, the Bangor in Maine is not.

Yeah - and if I keep the lid down you’re gonna just plop on down and piss all over that? :smiley:

I’ve heard this quite often from women - don’t buy it, but not gonna argue it.

Some friends of mine who hated the heat were moving from Dallas to Arizona. I pointed out that Arizona wasn’t any cooler than Dallas and they gave me the, “but it’s a dry heat,” response. Sure, my oven is also a dry heat. The didn’t last an entire year in Arizona.