Tippy Makes My Day

So it’s six-thirty in the morning in Chicago. It snowed overnight over patches of ice, and I have to walk my sixty-something self with weak ankles over these Plains of Death or At Least Broken Legs in ten degree weather to get to the bus stop to go to work.

I was standing, shivering, naked in the chilly bedroom, struggling to pull on all the required underthings, and looking at Tippy. My huge black cat is still curled up, sleeping on the bed.

I scowled at her, jealous that she never has to wriggle into clothing. No precarious balancing on one leg while pulling up pants. No icy streets for her, or jostling buses, or cutting wind.

It was then that Tippy lifted her sleepy head and saw me watching her. She stretched, did a full belly roll display, which is an effort for her because of her size. She gazed at me over her shoulder and gave me a slow blink.

And I melted. This cat interrupted her nap to roll at my presence, and said that she loves me with her eyes.

And the day is no longer so cold. Tippy has made the struggle worthwhile.

Reading this made me happy. Can we get a photo of her later? And let us know you made it home okay?
You definitely don’t have too many cats!
:black_cat:

Hooray for Tippy!

But …

You’re doing it wrong.

Sit down to put on pants. Pull them up far enough that both feet are out through the cuffs and in direct contact with the floor. Then stand up to finish getting your hips & butt into the top part of the pants. Same idea for dresses or skirts if you wear those.

You’ll live longer that way. Really. As we get older, doing stuff the safest way matters. The fall you prevent will be your own.

A truer word was never spoken. But if you want to know the truth, sometimes I have to prove to myself that I can still do the stuff I used to. Not the smartest thing, but somewhere there was a study done that said that people who can’t stand on one foot don’t live long. What I really should do is stop reading all these doom and gloom studies over the internet.

Both valid considerations. My view is, do the work you need to do in order to still be able to do the things that you used to do. You can work to improve your balance, safely, when you are not getting dressed. Better balance helps you not to fall, not only when you are getting dressed, but all the rest of the time too, like when you are walking on slippery sidewalks.

Good for Tippy, though, for raising your mood.

'Zactly.

Exercise for balance and strength deliberately with full awareness of what you’re doing with no daydreaming or day-planning at the same time. And no time pressure.

But make sure to practice standing on one foot, so you don’t lose your balancing ability. You can do this while standing next to something you can grab ahold of if necessary.

I put my pants on while standing up, though, as part of my practice – but I’m right next to the bed while I do it.

As far as the ice: get some Yaktrax. You can stuff them in your coat pocket when you get there.

As far as Tippy: living with cats (and/or dogs) is very good for your health (presuming you’re not allergic.) There’s lots of evidence. – hmmm. There’s a cat on the other desk right now. Think I’ll go pat him.

Tippy was warning you not to land belly up outside.
Smart cat.
:blush:

But then, you risk hitting the back of your head.

The day gets better and better. A book I have been waiting for over a month is finally at the bookstore!
I will be picking it up this evening. Cool!!!

I have reduced my dressing motions to minimize standing up too many times. In addition to your pants method you need to put on your slippers when the pants are still halfway on, put on your shirt, then stand up and pull it all together.