Tis just a flesh wound..the ankle, to be specific!

Sunday was supposed to be nothing but fun. Not because of Valentines Day - I’m single. But because of the Fort Lauderdale marathon.
Some friends and I were on the side of the course, handing out cups of beer. (Don’t judge! It’s 3 ounces of carbs, and it’s delicious! And we get great reactions…my favorite was the girl who heard one of us offer a beer - she looked over and yelled “Fuck yeah!”)

Fast forward a few hours, and the race is over. I hop on my bike to go back to my car, which is parked on the other side of the intracoastal. On my way down the bridge, I had to take a sharp left hand turn. And then I fell.
plop
A few minor scrapes, but I know something is wrong with my ankle. I’m able to finish the ride back to the car, but by the time I get there, it’s hard to put weight on that foot. I hop around and get the bike loaded into the car, and myself loaded into the driver’s seat. Happily, the damage is to my left ankle, and I don’t drive a stick shift. But it still hurt driving home, just having the ankle sitting there…pulsing at me.

I got home, popped a Mobic, got some ice, and headed to the sofa. Took the shoe off, and marveled at the huge bump on the side of the ankle. Spent the rest of the day doing a standard RICE treatment. By Monday, the swelling had gone down considerably, and I could almost walk on it.

My family convinced me that I should have it looked at anyway. So Tuesday morning, I called my podiatrist, and got an 11am appointment. X-rays were clean, but the doc says that much swelling right away usually indicates some ligament damage. Also, it still being swollen 48 hours later indicates some ligament damage. Lastly, after poking around and identifying the tender spots, the fact that my complaint was at the ligament most commonly injured…well, you know the drill by now.

The nurse wrapped the ankle with a medicated wrap - some zinc based thing - which is supposed to help with the inflammation. I keep that on for a week, and I’m not allowed to get it wet. I also have a walking boot, although I’m supposed to stay off the ankle as much as I can for the first week. I go back to his office next Tuesday to get the underwrap removed, and hopefully become weight bearing again.

He thinks it’ll be 3-6 weeks overall in the boot.

All in all, it could be worse. I work from home 3 days a week anyway, so I’ll just extend that to 5 days a week for the first week or so.
My biggest issues, besides knowing that I’ll go stir crazy:

1. I’m supposed to run a 5k on April 7th. That’s questionable right now.
  2. I just (Saturday) untapped my two kegs and cleaned my beer lines. I didn’t get a chance to re-tap them. And right now, I don’t think I’ll be able to pull the kegs out of the kegerator to work on them. Luckily, I also have a full bar, so I can survive on mixed drinks if I need to.
  3. I have a fundraiser I’m supposed to volunteer at on the 27th, in the middle of my community garden. I’m not sure how that’s going to work right now.

Now…I guess I just need to decide if I want to keep the boot clean, or have people sign it.

Surely a Doper local to you would be willing to help you with this problem!

I thought about that. Actually, I thought about the number of serious drinking friends (and actual bartenders) who live nearby. But my house is a mess.

GOOD NEWS! It turns out I can lift a quarter keg while putting all my weight on my right leg. Not surprisingly, I can also lift a sixth keg.

So I now have some delicious Cigar City Jai Lai, and some standard Miller Light, both ready to relax my muscles and ease my pain.