To Erasticity and his "Americans are stupid" sig...

I’m fairly certain jarbabyj’s rolleyes smilie wasdirected at WinstonSmith. That’s how I read it, anyway. Maybe she’ll come along and explain.

And on preview, I see she has.

OK, I see what you mean now. That wasn’t a big deal anyway. You did at least realize that I was making fun of Winston’s post and not calling you a name, right?

Haj

Not until right now, no. :smiley:

Well, for one thing, you know how to spell ‘humorous’ in the British way, which, considering your ‘All American’ stance, is either suspicious, or funny (as in strange).
Freedom Fries with that?

[QUOTE=Zoe]
Hey You!, oh yeah…I remember now. The Japanese! The war in the Pacific! So jjimm wasn’t exactly correct when he said that we were sitting on our asses before we decided to come and save theirs. We had been fighting another, more dangerous war for our troops for a couple of years.

[QUOTE]

Zoe, I am trying to say this in as nice a maner as possible, but that was a shockingly ignorant (of the facts of history) post. You’re a poster who has crossed my radar as someone with whom I usually disagree, but not as a lunatic or a partisan fool or anything like that, so this isn’t personal, I haven’t interacted with you enough for it to be personal. If you’re not sure of such a major fact, it would behoove you in the future to look it up. Missing something like that is like denying the horrible, brutal pogroms that followed Hitler’s unprevolked attack on Brazil.

And no, the irony is not lost on me that in a thread where everyone is taking offense to the idiocy of Americans, hajario and i got into a giant clusterfuck over a smilie.

It still looks to me like the OP(erson) was, in the OP(ost), contrasting the quote in Erasticity’s sig with that of Hitler specifically, merely because of this:

…“the person to whom that quote is attributed underestimated the American people too – and got his ass handed to him as a result.”

Lordy…it’s obvious that I’m being pedantic, no? But…I still think that my pedantism beats up your pedantism and takes its lunch money, for reasons outlined above. But! I’m willing to concede that it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility that the OP was not specifically comparing the sig to Hitler. I just don’t think’s what happened…even though the OP later said that wasn’t what he was doing. I think he may have rethought it in the interim. But…he’s not a bad person for doing it, and it’s really not vitally important that I end up being right. On principle, I don’t agree with the OP…because I agree (to an extent) with BOTH of the quotes presented. Americans spend a lot of money on some HOLY SHIT HOW FUCKING STUPID things, and it IS lucky for a lot of rulers that people, on the whole, don’t give a whole lot of thought to what’s actually happening in their government.

Yeah, but you and jar have, subsequent to the post I’m quoting, realized that there was some miscommunication, and I was working under some of the same misunderstandings. So…I take it back, you’re not a fucking moron and jarbabyj’s not a fucking moron, but WinstonSmith is, and I probably am. :smiley:

Um? DUH? To whom is THAT news?

No, Hitler declaring war on the US is what made us fight in Europe, and thanks to George Marshall were able to do it.

This whole thread is reading like a Marx Brothers sketch . . . get a grip, people !

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Well, it not overly clever when the whole thread is predacated on the notion that a German geek is calling Americans stupid - and then, in defence, the hurt American invokes Adolph, or doesn’t, before we find out the so-called German geek is from some friggin farm in Indiana.

What is this Smallville meets A Night at the Opera meets The Producers ?

Give that man a box of Snickers.

Last night I shot a German superhero in my pyjamas. What he was doung there, I’ll never know . . .

“I have often felt a bitter sorrow at the thought of the German people, which is so estimable in the individual and so wretched in the generality … - GOETHE”

Oh wow, that unspeakable Nazi thing is a real heavy voodoo. It’ll kill dead or derail a thread like nothing else.

Why bring in Godwin if not to stop a debate? And why would you think this debate, as far as there was any, was ruined by the mere mention of a cite by Hitler? He did not imply Erasticity was a Nazi or that his sig. was Nazi material or whatever.

Inflation has taken rot in Godwin’s law like nothing else. The way it’s often being misused around here, I feel it’s only hindering a debate of our common Nazi history and it’s relation to current events. There is nothing mysterious magic about the Nazis that they should never be mentioned. On the contrary, it is of the greatest importance that we never cease talking about them, that we never forget. Nazi atrocities taught humanity a moral lesson we must remember for all time. As far as I’m concerned Godwin’s law deal mostly with situations of Nazi name calling. The way you choose to wield it reminds me most of Faulty Towers’ “Don’t Mention the War”. And if you don’t agree with me go fuck Eva Braun you fucking Nazi moron.

Also it’s really quite remarkable that of the two quotes in the OP: “Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people” and “What luck for rulers that men do not think” the one by Hitler is by far the most interesting. For while Mencken’s little jab was little more than a bit of fun on behalf of the stupid Americans (always great fun admittedly) Hitler’s tells us something generally for all time: Use yer brains fuckheads or your politicians will screw you over! - something even, I can heartily agree with, and directly from the horse’s mouth so to speak.

“[The Germans] have no conception how vile they are”
“[…]wheresoever Germany penetrated, she ruins culture”

• Nietzsche

/Rune

Very fucking brilliant. Good to know you hold this quote in high enough regard to post it here. Did yer daddy tell you to hate the Germans?

You stupid Nazi bastard, I just posted those quotes in the overall spirit of the thread. If you ask me, I think mascaroni’s Goethe quote has more bite. And of course I was taught to hate the Germans on my fathers lap; I’m Danish. Don’t you know anything – so stupid, you must be American.

(heh heh)

• Rune

I’ll be honest. This thread has lead me on a psychedelic acid trip of unmeasurable porportions. It reminds me of the Simpsons (of course)

Teenager1: Are you being sarcastic?

Teenager2: I don’t even know any more.

Stupid American.

You are aware that Germany occupied Denmark during WWII, aren’t you?

As for Godwin’s law:

From here.

Carry on.