To SOME of the Sailors at DLI

FIX YOUR UNIFORM BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE PRESIDIO!

Yes, I realize that your commanding officer thinks it’s okay to tell you that you can walk all over the base in “relaxed uniform” although the Presidio is nowhere near to being an industrial environment. But, and this is especially directed towards the Petty Officers, I would expect YOU to realize that once you leave the base (in case you forget, that’s the Presidio of Monterey) and decide to ambulate around town, on the MPC campus, or even visit another base (news flash: NPS IS NOT DLI!), you disgrace both yourself and the uniform when you meander around looking like you don’t give a fuck about that uniform.

Now, on the other hand, if you don’t give a fuck about it, turn it in and ask to be discharged because you refuse to wear the uniform.

This rant brought to you by Monty, your humble retired PN1.

Monty, this old EM1(SS/SW) (formerly ET2(SS)) couldn’t agree more. Lets go bust some asses…

Well, now I’m curious. Just how “relaxed” are they? Big ol’ beer gut hangin’ out over pants with no belt, “U.S. Olympic Drinking Team” t-shirt, flipflops?

I thought this would be about sailing and sail boats and real sailors!

Bah Humbug…

Another Monterey Doper huh?

The extent that I see DLI guys though is when I’m running (CCS Championchips this weekend!)on the bike trails and they are too. A lot of them are walking though :smiley:

Well, hang around Alvarado & Franklin and you’ll see what he’s talking about.

“Relaxed uniform” is when the Sailor is permitted to remove his/her tie and award ribbons from the Working Blue uniform. Notice that both the tie and ribbons must be removed, not just one or the other. This is permitted only in industrial areas or in the work space. When the Sailor departs the work space or industrial area, the Sailor is required by the Uniform Regulations (available as a PDF file from http://www.bupers.navy.mil) to don the tie and award ribbons.

A Petty Officer most certainly should be aware of these facts. Tranq, contact me and you can come with me to the Navy OIC’s office at DLI on Tuesday. :slight_smile:

P.S. I’ll print out this thread on Tuesday morning before going there. It should be fun to see the reaction.

Oh, and before anyone tells me how stressful, etc., it is being a student at DLI and why they just have to be permitted to look like they don’t care, etc.–I graduated from DLI, and I was required to wear my uniform correctly when I was in class, out of class, on base, or off base. Granted, I was in the Army when I attended that school; however, my fellow students who were in the Navy were also required to follow the uniform regulations.

Keep us posted on how the Tues ‘meeting’ went.

Sorry, won’t be able to make it Monty… got’s to deal with IBM Global Services all next week (Which will be less fun, by a long shot!).

Besides the obvious fact:

those uniforms are an incredible turn on :slight_smile: