To the asshole death metal fan (possibly lame)

Last night I went to a concert at the 9:30 club in DC. It featured two of my current favorite bands: Opeth and Porcupine Tree.

Opeth is a death metal band by trade, which means there are lots of heavy distortion guitars, double bass drumming, and plenty of evil-sounding growling. Personally, I like it. I think Opeth is one of the greatest prog-metal bands out there, primarily because they also have a mellow side. Seriously, some of their chill stuff would make shockwaves on the radio here in the States if they could get any airtime. Anyway…

There was this one guy at the concert last night who kept calling out for Opeth to play their heavy stuff. The frontman explained to the guy a couple of times that this tour was for their mellow stuff, and they would come back soon to do another heavy show. He kept heckling them. Then, when Porcupine Tree came on, he kept yelling at them, “Don’t put us to sleep!”

Look, Assbrain, you knew this tour was for Damnation, their newest and chillest album to date. You knew there was going to be no growling. Why come and yell at them to do death metal when they had already said they weren’t doing any? You’re ruining the experience for the rest of us.

Just shut the fuck up or get the fuck out of the club. Doing both is an even better idea.

That’s the only thing I hate about metal–some of the fans are just fucking morons. Still, I wanted to go see that concert. Was it good otherwise?

They should have ripped a fast one, so he could get beat up in the pit real quick.

Back in my day, Glen Benton would have personally summoned the devil himself to eject the poor sod who dared interrupt his evil symphony.

Or, maybe taken World Eater’s advise and started a pit an watched the guy get beaten down.