[QUOTE=Renob]
So you think everyone should be guaranteed the job he or she wants, then?
[/quote]
Turnabout is fair play. If a business owner is to be allowed godlike authority over his employees becaue they “choose” to be there, they should at least be allowed the freedom to choose which slavemaster will own them. And make no mistake, that’s the kind of “employee” and “employer” relationship people with your philosophy are promoting, one of master and slave. One where the employer has absolute rights and freedom, and the employee has none. Because to people with your philosophy, the only rights that matter are property rights. As in your response to my example of the bullet fired in the air; that it would be a matter of property rights. Not the public safety, not risking the lives of others; property rights.
[QUOTE=Renob]
Of course I care about the freedom of employees. I care about their freedom to enter into a contract with another free person. I don’t think that employees should have more freedom than employers, as you seem to desire.
[/quote]
I simply don’t believe you, given the views you have expressed. I don’t believe you care about them, nor do I believe you want them to be free, or consider them to be free. And what I want is for the employees not to be exploited and endangered by their employers.
[QUOTE=Renob]
I don’t want that. I don’t think anyone should be able to infringe on the rights of others.
[/quote]
Wrong. You believe that an employer owns his employees, that he has an absolute dominion over them, and they have no rights at all.
[QUOTE=Renob]
I think two people should have the freedom to negotiate a contract that is mutually beneficial to both. You don’t support this kind of freedom, instead preferring a paternalistic state that tells employees that they are too stupid to make choices for themselves.
[/quote]
No, I’m saying the employer has more power than they do. The “freedom” you value is the freedom for the strong to crush the weak, for the rich to use the poor.
[QUOTE=Renob]
And that is their choice. As I said, the trade-off (money to support themselves) is worth the bad job.
[/quote]
Utter garbage. People take and keep jobs they hate out of desperation all the time. That is not their choice any more than being forced at gunpoint is a choice.
[QUOTE=Renob]
I wasn’t aware that anyone was being forced to work at gun point. People desire money and they take jobs to work. It’s a choice they make, and if they don’t like the choices available to them, they have other choices (get more education or training, move, start their own business, etc.). People change jobs all the time.
[/quote]
Being forced to do something for economic reasons is no more “freedom” than being forced at gunpoint, or dragged around by large men, or having your loved ones taken hostage. The world you describe is a Libertarian fantasy that has never existed.
[QUOTE=Renob]
That’s just stupid. I’m the one that believes in freedom – you are the one that wants to use the government to interfere in peoples’ lives.
[/quote]
Freedom comes from the government. Without out it, society degenerates into an anarchy where the law of the jungle rules and the strong enslave the weak. That’s why failed states are always disasters, and not Libertarian paradises. We need the government to protect us from those who are stronger or more brutal or more numerous than ourselves.
[QUOTE=Renob]
To say that I support slavery is about the stupidest thing I’ve heard on this board.
[/QUOTE]
Slavery is the inevitable result of your philosophy. It doesn’t matter in the slightest if you mean to support it; you do anyway.
[QUOTE=Diceman]
Paternalistic nannyism is typically associated with liberals. The conservative position is that people who are seriously offended by smoke are free to patronize (or work in) some other place.
[/quote]
The conservative position is “I am the Master, you are the slave. Now get to work, and send your daughter to my bed while you are at it ! And remember, it’s all God’s will, and you’ll burn in Hell if you disagree !”
[QUOTE=Diceman]
I’ve never smoked, but I’m with those who say that the bar owner should have the right to decide this. Bars are not public property.
[/QUOTE]
And his employees and their lungs are not his property.
[QUOTE=BMalion]
Don’t forget to compare us to Hitler!
[/QUOTE]
Hitler specifically ? No. Fascism in general ? Definitely. The strong preying on the weak, blaming the exploited for being exploited, disbelief in human rights, utter lack of compassion, believing the rich should rule everyone else; it all fits.