Today I asked a congressional candidate what her favorite book is

Her answer? Zodiac by Neal Stephenson. :slight_smile:

Is that good or bad?

She’s got my vote!*

*Offer valid only in MD. Availability determined by voting district.

It’s entertaining. Because she’d been giving canned (albeit articulate and interesting) answers to all the questions up to that point, and it’s clearly not the kind of answer that’s been vetted through focus groups and the like. It seemed genuine. As she then explained, the protagonist is an ecoterrorist, for Chrissake. :smiley:

And sorry, Only Mostly Dead. She’s not running where you’re voting. :slight_smile:

My favorite in this was a local candidate who was asked:
“who would you most like to have with you if you were stuck on a broken elevator for hours?”

His answer was Elisha Otis [inventor of the elevator].
That kind of practical thinking is what I think we need in government!

Horton Hears a Who would catch my positive attention.

That’s a good one, especially since he just happened to know who the inventor of the elevator was ( :confused: ) off the top of his head.

More importantly, did you then end up humping like weasels?

The interesting thing was when somebody complemented him on the practicality of his answer, the candidate replied, “Otis invented the elevator? I didn’t know that. I’ve just always be sexually attracted to men with beards.”

I was seriously expecting a bullshit answer like 1776 or something like that.

During the past election, I attended the taping of a show where candidates from four parties faced off against one another. The Liberals happened to be represented by the incumbent in my riding, who was also the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

For fun, at the end of one of the debate segments, the candidates were asked randomly selected trivia questions. Her question was: Who wrote the music to “O Canada”?

The Minister of Canadian Heritage did not know who wrote the music to our national anthem.

The answer? Calixa Lavallée. I learned that in grade four.

I briefly considered putting out a press release but decided it would be too mean.

If the Liberals get back in power, and if she gains back her seat and rejoins the Cabinet, you’ll have to tell the parliamentary caucus of your party to ask her this question again during question period, just to she if she’s learned anything.

Jack McMullen, a flatlander who was running for Congress against Fred Tuttle in Vermont, lost major points for not knowing how many teats are on a Holstein.

He’s not an ecoterrorist.

It’s nice that she didn’t say The DaVinci Code or Harry Potter.

Did I mention she’s a major party candidate in a contested district? :slight_smile: I’d vote for her, were I a constituent.