Today I saw a loser that made me so mad

OK, that was a cheap joke. I too suffer from severe depression. Maybe that was the depression joking.

Why do you assume that sympathy is inborn as opposed to a character trait?

bucketybuck, I am pretty disgusted by what you’ve done here. Having been introduced over the past two years to genuine depression for the first time, I can tell you that:[ul][]If you’ve never experienced it, you have no idea how fucking unbelievably horrible it is. People who are well bandy the word “depressed” around when they mean “sad”. If you’ve actually had depression - and I think we can assume, since he’s in treatment for the condition, that mookieblaylock genuinely does have it - you fucking know you’ve got something way beyond your immediate control.[]One of the many unpleasant symptoms of it is crushingly low self-esteem. And that leads to “whining”.[]If you’re suffering and lucky enough to be able to reach out, looking for compassion and comprehension, or just to express how you feel. To mentally well recipients it looks like whining. Actually, that reaching out is the sufferer actually doing something positive - at least they’re speaking, honestly, about how they feel.[]This thread is potentially damaging. Again, if you have never experienced it, you will not realise how there are compassionate ways to encourage someone with this affliction to sort themselves out and seek help, and change their attitudes. Attacking them in this way is not going to do anything but add to the pain.[/ul]Dude, I would not wish what mookieblaylock is going through on my worst enemy. I likened it to being inside a bell jar of filth: you know the world is outside and full of good stuff, but you cannot get near it, and your perceptions of it, and yourself, are tainted. By all means advise the guy to persist with the help he’s getting, and tell him you aren’t enjoying his venting - but don’t scour the poor fucker over the coals.

I’m convinced you wear your lack of compassion like a badge of honor. Otherwise you wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Here’s the thing, snowflake. You don’t have to have any compassion for the guy. But at the same time your defective lack of compassion prevents you from knowing when to not add to someone else’s misery.

It’s pretty clear to me that you’re fairly clueless about people with mental health issues. If you were you’d know that it isn’t possible for some people to “harden the fuck up”. The fact that you don’t understand that is just another aspect of your seemingly defective personality.

I get that he’s in a horrible place with a legitimate condition. The thing that people are exasperated with is that he’s thrown everybody’s goodwill and thrown it back in their face.

My policy for helping others is that they have to be an active participant in their recovery, otherwise everyone’s time, effort, and emotional investment is wasted.

Why do you assume that there is a difference between inborn traits and character traits?

Actually, it’s just sadism hidden behind a false concern. The people trash talking here do not care about Mooky, they like making fun of him for his suffering. He’s less than them, they are better than he is. He’s pathetic, and loser. But it’s his own fault because he isn’t being treated by a Doctor.

What makes you think I’m sociopathic? I’m not kicking the guy when he’s down. I’m stepping over him. Totally different. And I don’t think the OP (or I) would pit a cancer victim for having cancer. We’d pit the cancer victim that refused to get treated and at the same time bitched about dying.

That’s not true. Breaking the paradigm and saying things like “Yes, I enjoy musicals” or whatever is part of being a self-confident person.

You’re missing the analogy. Saying “I was born without a heart” is a metaphor. The brown-hair-thing is merely stating that I’m rather indifferent to it. It’s a part of me. I have no desire to change it.

No. There are a set of events and actions in my life that have led me to be this way. Iraq, for one. My parents, for another. My former physique, for a third. THOSE I wear like a badge of honor because overcoming hurdles is honorable. My lack of compassion for people unwilling to do the same as I have done is merely a side effect. But enough about me.

Snowflake. Cute. Not sure where you’re going with that.

My lack of compassion for people who KNOW how to help themselves but won’t do it is not a character flaw. It’s not a defect. I’m not piling on the misery because he’s not even reading this right now. If he is, he doesn’t have to be. I’m not expecting him to “harden the fuck up” and feel better. I’m expecting him to harden the fuck up and go see a doctor, distance himself from poisonous friends, take his meds, join a club, and all the other things we’ve told him he needs to do. He knows what he needs to do but he won’t do it. So I’m with Cat Whisperer here. We’re out.

And of course, this is the weirdest part of it all, since he is seeing a doctor.

LOL, the plot sickens.

It’s always funny to me when people say they have no sympathy for someone who is depressed and doesn’t see a Doctor. I guess they don’t realize that Depression essentially hamstrings you from doing ANYTHING to varying degrees. But since he IS seeing a Doctor…well. They always couch it in such enlightened terms. “I understand Depression is a disease, but I am going to make an excuse for myself so I can berate you for not having the motivation to go to a Doctor since you have a disease that sucks out all motivation.”

My spidey sense says attention seeking preteen/teenager.

And really, if you go back and look, a pretty good one. He barely typed any words and we just poured the attention on him.

Honestly I doubt it matters if it was pages of hugs and sincerity or more pages of scorn and tough love.

You gotta give him his props, in my opinion, he still making us all dance, when you think about it. No too shabby for a teen.

Did you read the part where he said he IS seeing a doctor, fucknuggets?

If you really WERE “stepping over him”, you wouldn’t give a shit to say anything at all.

Hey bucketybuck, I’ve got this hurt puppy here, I’ll bet you could totally kick it. One of it’s legs is broken and it can’t move very fast, go for it. C’mon, get a good run up and go for 7, you know you wanna. It makes you feel all big and manly picking on things that need help like that. Go for it. Show us all how tough and hard you are, it can’t fight back.

Dipshit.

Yeah, I saw it. So? Am I not allowed to be irked by his attention whoring and dismissal of all our advice?

And I don’t know if you noticed, but we’re in the Pit. There’s no room for sunshine and lollipops here. It’s the BBQ Pit, not the Kumbaya Bonfire. This is where we’re SUPPOSED to tease, mock, and jeer those that we feel like teasing, mocking, and jeering. I’m pretty sure 99% of the posters on here don’t give a shit about anything posted here. It doesn’t stop us from posting. Gotta love the posters that are always “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” when we’re in the FUCKING PIT. The fact that I’m posting doesn’t mean I give a shit about any of this.

Chessic Sense, you might want to dwell on the difference in meaning between “allowed” and “supposed.”

Without commenting on mookieblaylock, since it is difficult to tell attention-seeker from troll from soul crying out for help these days…

Sympathy is weakness, eh? I disagree. It takes balls for a man to show that he can have sympathy for others–those who can’t and buy into the prison mentality are really just toadies, trying to show they can be just like the bully heroes that apparently are to be admired by society at large. In other words, you’re their bitches.

Following the crowd takes no guts. Being your own person and offering a hand up does.

Are you disagreeing with me or someone else? You know I said the same thing, right?

You made this about you and you further hide your ethical culpability. Your experiences have not inextricably left you without sympathy, as others who have walked in shoes of a similar size have not left their better natures at the door. You made a choice, for better or worse, and you should at least cop to it. It is, simply put, a defect in character.

Wow…you really are an evil bastard, aren’t you? You like “teasing, mocking, and jeering” the mentally ill, eh? You are one sick SOB.

You didn’t give “advice”. You basically reinforced the guy’s guy’s own feelings. Wow, with skills like that, you should go into counseling!!!

And yeah, it’s the Pit. Doesn’t mean you have to be an rat bastard. Ever heard of “excluded middle”, dumbshit?

You’re forgetting one little bit. We’re in the Pit. That’s the perfect place to point out that you are a horrible human being. The Pit isn’t a place that condones being a bastard–it’s a place to get out your obviously irrational anger. It’s for ranting, not being a jerk.

And the idea that people don’t care what goes on the Pit is asinine. A poster just got banned for what she did in the Pit. And even before the banning, people were ganging up on her–many who hardly ever post in the pit.

I’m actually starting to think that we may need to stop this. Your behavior might itself be indicative of a mental disorder. If you truly lack compassion and sympathy, then you are the very definition of “Antisocial personality disorder”, aka a sociopath. Too bad sociopaths often don’t seek professional help until its too late. (Unfortunately, that too late is destructive to others, unlike the one that usually happens to depressives.)