today is a sad day for pizza snobs everywhere

I may just have to try some. Folks keep saying how great the place is but I still haven’t experienced it. Maybe it’s a little bit of apprehension associated with the thought of walking down Roebling (that’s where it is, isn’t it?) after dark when the pizza urge strikes.

It’s on Hudson. There is also one in Hamilton that is similar (owned by the brother) but there are different camps on which is better. I like both.

If you go to the Trenton one, I’d get it to go. Parking is bad, there is no bathroom, and it’s really small inside so there is always a wait to sit. All that aside, the pie is really something if you like the thin crust/tomato combo!

You should follow that up with some Michele Lorie cheesecake, if you haven’t already. The apple walnut is really one of the most tasty desserts I’ve ever eaten.

(borrowing a friend’s posting ID here, couldn’t resist this topic)

You guys are killing me. I moved from NJ to Houston about a year ago, and I haven’t had decent pizza or bagels since. I was actually planning a “food tour” of my favorite places for the next time I visit my parents.

So, can anyone recommend good pizza/bagel joints in NW Houston? I’ve found workable substitutes, but nothing close to the real thing…

–Rahenna

I live in NJ, but went away to Houston for 2 years for grad school. I have to tell you, you will be disappointed. Many have tried to open up a “New York Style” pizza establishment there, and they’ve all failed. For my first few months there, my primary mission (besides school), was to find a decent pizza place. One day, driving down Holcombe Blvd., I thought I found it. A brand new shop called “New York Pizza”. I walked in and found out the owner was a former New Jersey pizza shop owner who decided to open a shop down there. But alas, not nearly the same thing. I’ve done a bit of research and found out that it’s either the water, the humidity, the pollution or a combination of these factors that makes pizza in NJ and NY as good as it is. You simply can’t make the pizza anywhere else. So your only option is to come back to God’s country.

You shouldn’t have said that. To save the moderator the effort, you must sign up in your own name. One name per life time.

It sounds more than a little odd on first introduction, but then you recall the tomato-vodka magic that is a bloody mary, and you add some extra black pepper to the pasta sauce, and you realize that all is in fact right with the world.

Especially if you are in NW houston, you are out of luck. Whatever you do, don’t go to the ‘New York Pizza’ joint on Jones Rd, not only is it not authentic, it also absolutely sucks.

The best pizza in houston (IMHO) is Star Pizza, on S Shepard, just north of 59. Its not very New York like, but it is still a very nice pie.
Also, you can forget about the bagels. The closest we have to real bagels are at Einsteins Bros.

It sounds like you may be on to something, there…

All it lacks is a little… ummmm… clam.

[/canadian]

Are you in Tampa or St. Pete? Joey Brooklyn’s (despite the trite name) not only makes an amazing pie, they sell slices. I grew up in NJ/NY and it comes damn close. 1st Ave N between 2nd and 3rd street in St. Pete, on the North side of Jannus Landing.

I live in NW Tampa, but work in the Pinellas Park/Seminole area. I could get down to St Pete for a decent pie. Wonder if this is the same that Dmatsch is talking about.

My friend who lives in New Tampa (she’s also from NJ) says there is a really good one up there. I’ll have to ask her.

My girlfriend likes to make her own, and when she doesn’t she adds a little to the basic ones you buy for cheap. A lot of tomato puree is added. A lot. So much so that my saliva glands are tingling in panic at the thought of it all :eek:

Hal, I’m not sure which county of ‘shore’ you call home, so I’m going to have to guess-timate. On the Seaside boardwalk, open year-round, is ‘Maruca’s’. Thin crispy crusts, good cheese and tomato topping, and there’s a thin layer of flour at the bottom of the slice that leaves a thin layer of ‘dust’ on your lips as you eat it. There may be better shore pizza that I don’t know about, but that’s the best I do know about.

Closer to home, I like to occasionally treat my family to ‘Mr Pizza’ aka ‘3 West Pizza’ off of Rt 3 West in Clifton. It’s true thin-crust pizza also.

I highly encourage you to head over to the Ovo Cafe. 515 Central Ave
Saint Petersburg (727) 895-5515. (Downtown St. Pete)

I haven’t been there in years but every time I was in St. Pete I would make it a priority to eat there. It’s kind of trendy and they have other things besides pizza but who cares? The pizza is delicious and they have a large variety of specialty pizza or you can stick to the tried and true.

I miss that place. :frowning:

I’ll have to try out the Ovo Cafe, I work downtown (for the next 2 weeks, anyway) and I love the restaurant scene here (limited as it is). Have you tried Bella Brava (Central btw 5th and 6th), sort of nouveau Italian? Pretty good.

The one in North Tampa that my friend told me about is called Pizza Mania, on Bruce B. Downs and SR 56. I can’t vouch for it myself, so YMMV.

Oh, and as far as Jersey Shore pizza goes, I’ve always been partial to Three Brothers. Several locations in Seaside Heights. Thin crust, fresh cheese, that light flour that Count Blucher mentioned, and slices bigger than your head. I think their “regular” size pie was 24-inch, cooked on those battered aluminum trays that are so familiar.

BLASPHEMY! Get thee behind me, unclean 'roni-hater!

I’ve never been to the Bella Brava. I haven’t been in St Pete since 2000. I used to go see my cousin every year when he lived there and now he’s off in L.A.

The Italian restaurants I’ve been to in Tampa/St Pete were all pretty damn good. Almost as good as those in Western New York. :wink:

In my vast experience, pizza made west of the Mississippi just doesn’t quite cut it.