Today is my last day of therapy

Today, I see my therapist for the last time. I have been seeing mental health professionals for ten years. They have all been wonderful and very helpful.

Its a little scary to think that after all this time talking about the physical and sexual abuse I grew up with, I am now “normal.” When I first started, I hoped that maybe therapy would just erase everything and I could start over. I was very, very wrong. For a while I referred to what I was doing as “emotional chemotherapy” because, like real chemotherapy, I made me feel awful but I knew it would help in the long run. (It did take a couple years to make this connection, until then I was thinking “This sucks! Why am I here?”)

Now, I am six months away from turning 30. I’m recently married to a wonderful man and I am trying like hell to finish my bachelors degree in biology. Not bad. There is still a lot of work to do. Life doesn’t stop while you’re trying to get your act together, but now my past doesn’t control me. I’m not a helpless victim, but a survivor.

Good for you! :slight_smile:

So, who made the decision that your therapy was “finished”, you or your therapist? At what point did you realize you were “normal” and didn’t need it anymore?

My psychiatrist recently decided that I no longer need to be medicated, and I should only come see her if I feel I’m in crisis. It’s a strange feeling to be suddenly cast adrift–but it’s also a really good one.

I like your chemo analogy, it reminds me of what my mother first told me about therapy: “If you’re not crying when you leave, you didn’t do it right.” :slight_smile:

Congrats, and I hope everything works out.

It was a mutual decision. For the past couple of months I have been answering my own questions, I just wanted my therapist to “approve” of my actions.

I realize that I didn’t need therapy anymore when I was able to cope with things that I couldn’t handel before. Years ago, I could not watch anything like CSI because the violence it depicts hits close to home for me. I still don’t watch these shows, but they don’t upset me. (I refuse to watch any program with a lot of violence. Sorry Hollywood, its not “edgy.” People live through horrific things everyday and their lives are not nice and neat at the end of 45 minutes.)

I had the “cast adrift” feeling at first. Ending treatment is a really big step. I will always be on medication, but I try to view it was a managable medical condition. My “offical” diagnosis is OCD PTSD SOL. (Ok, the SOL is mine, but it fits.)

Good luck to you!

I’ve stopped therapy for the time being too because I wasn’t really invested in it and things aren’t bad enough to change, at least that’s the way I see it which I know may be part of the problem. Meds allow me to be less panicky and anxious and those were the symptoms that really bothered me.

What was funny is soon after I stopped I was faced with a real stressful time, the kind it would be nice to run by a therapist, but I made it on my own. But I certain used skills I had learned there, like taking it one day at a time instead of projecting into the future.