Today is the 30th Anniversary of the Detention in "The Breakfast Club"

The date written on the board in the detention room was March 25, 1984 in the Film…

Mundane? Yes…
Pointless? You decide…

Don’t mess with the bull, young man. You’ll get the horns.

You think about this: when you get old, these kids - when I get old - they’re going to be running the country.

Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?

Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up, we’ll all get up, it’ll be anarchy.

Brian: You wear tights?
Andrew: No, I don’t wear tights! I wear the required uniform.
Brian: Tights.
Andrew: Shut up.

Bender: What do you guys do in your club?
Brian: Well, in physics we…we talk about physics, properties of physics.
Bender: So, it’s sorta social. Demented and sad, but social.

Screws fall out all the time. It’s an imperfect world.

Was I the only one who was rooting for the teacher instead of that little punk kid? What a bunch of crybabies…

“Impossible, sir. It’s in Johnson’s underwear.”

Yes, Pitchmeister. The only one rooting for the teacher was you.

It’s Tuesday in Canada already? Must be that blasted Metric System.

Whups! Good Catch FTG! March 24th is the date on the board, I goofed because a lot of my job involves advance posting for future dates, and yes, I am at work…

So where do you think the characters are today?

Brian: founder and CEO of a major software company
Claire: one of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Andrew: high school wrestling coach
Allison: ???
Bender: dead

Well, at least you aren’t a good two or three years early, like those photoshopped Facebook pics that claimed “Today is the day Marty McFly travelled to the Future in Back to the Future!” I must have seen about four or five versions of them, and people keep posting and posting them…

Figures today would be the day you chose to return to the dope - guess I’ll have to watch my tongue from now on…

And she’s wrong, I hated those kids. Actually I hate the movie.

(Moved MPSIMS --> Cafe Society)

The annoying thing about TBC is, somewhat like Rebel Without A Cause, adults at the time thought it gave them this deep insight to contemporary teens. Suddenly everyone was Mr. O’Neil from Daria, well-meaning and clueless. It really made me appreciate the cynical teachers waiting to collect their pensions, bless them.

And man, do I hate the ending theme. Seriously. When I go to hell, that song will be the elevator music on the way down.

“Chicks, cannot hold der smoke! That’s what it is!”

Can you imagine how different this movie would be if it were remade today? The kids would be expelled for smoking marijuana in the library, and Principal Vernon himself would probably be arrested as part of the school’s crazy Zero Tolerance Policy. And where are all the metal detectors?

I used to hate that song with a passion myself, but nowadays, I really enjoy it. Go figure – must be a combination of nostalgia & mid-life crisis, or something.

I went to New Trier West High School from 1967 - 1971.
The breakfast club was early morning detention instead of Saturday portrayed in the film.
New Trier was home to John Hughes, who wrote, directed, and produced the film.

I was a long-haired anti-war smart mouthed guy, and did detention lots of times. Don’t remember what time it started, but I think it was over an hour before school started.

Ahhh, memories.
David

In my high school, detention was after school - you know, you were detained… That’s all I know about it, since I was a goody-goody who never got in trouble.

I always liked the movie - it amused me and entertained me. Yeah, it’s unrealistic, but it’s a movie, not a documentary. To quote another of my favorite movies “Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you.” :smiley:

In our school, we had two types: one one-hour detention after school (also known as a “jug”), (ETA: actually, there is also a one-hour detention before school) and then a three-hour detention on Saturdays for more serious offenses (And those detentions, I believe, would also involve doing various chores around the school, light yard work, that sort of thing.)