Today's Google Doodle -12/17/15

Celebrating Beethoven’s Birthday.
Click on the graphic and it gives one the option of arranging the order of the last five pieces of sheet music and playing the composition.

Out of order is interesting.

In addition, I did learn that there is a Google Doodle Archive.
As my adopted cousin Bubba would say, “Huh. Who woulda thunk.”

Yes, I am easily amused.

And you get to do it four times, for his four most famous pieces.

It was a really fun doodle. Reminded me of a flash game that had similar mechanics, but this doodle didn’t have a bizarro rendition, just piano.

Arranging the sheets of music in the correct order rewards the viewer with additional parts of the story. Four puzzles in all, IIRC.

How do you activate it? When I click on it, it only takes me to the Google page listing entries on Beethoven and on the Doodle. Clicking on different parts of the image all do the same thing. Nothing starts the puzzle.

I found a link to it here:

I’ve mentioned many times that I run my browser with JavaScript disabled most of the time, so for me, it’s only to be expected that a whole lot of things don’t work. (I can always turn JS on when I want to.)

And yet, I’ve also been noticing for some time now that a whole lot of things don’t seem to work even with JavaScript enabled. (Not sure if Google Doodles falls into this class, though.)

So I suspect it may also have to do with what browser one is using, and specifically, how current your browser is with all the latest HTML features. Over the last some-number-of-years, browsers have been implementing various HTML5 capabilities little by little, and I think more and more web sites are using HTML5 stuff. My relatively ancient Firefox browser, for example, seems to implement some of the new HTML5 specs but not a whole lot.

If you wanted a word for Google Doodles, would you call them Goodles or Doogles?

ETA: IIRC, there exists a web site somewhere (maybe part of the W3C stuff at www.w3.org perhaps?) that somehow runs interactively with your browser and tests HTML5 features, and gives you a report on what works and what doesn’t. Anybody here know exactly what that site is?

Google Droodles?

In case you didn’t notice, look again at my post just above. I added an ETA to it.

ETA: I remember Droodles! I had the book once upon a time. One of my favorites was Stork Wearing Argyle Stockings which, unfortunately, I can’t seem to find on-line with google images search.

The last piece, Symphony #9, has two pairs of repeated measures. Does it accept those interchangeably, or do you have to guess right?

Musaic Box? This Doodle inspired me to get into Big Fish and re-download that game.

Something really interesting about that archive of Google Doodles: each doodle has a map that’s labeled “This Doodle’s reach”, which shows which countries it apparently was featured in. There are tons of country-specific ones for independence days and national holidays that only extend to a single country. Then there are others which are mostly worldwide, but somewhat curiously have a handful of countries excluded.

This particular Beethoven one was mostly worldwide, but there are a couple countries in Africa and the Middle East, as well as Norway, which were excluded for some reason. I also found it really curious that there was one for George Boole’s 200th birthday, which was also mostly worldwide but with the same exclusions as above plus the U.S. and Mexico were also excluded. I mean I know he was British, but very strange that it would go to most of the rest of world and yet exclude the U.S.

Really fascinating stuff. Of course I’m aware of Google’s global reach but had no idea that they did so many country- and region-specific doodles.

I tired it multiple times on multiple computers, and it just plays the opening video and then shows a screen with Beethoven bent over picking up his papers, and I click on does anything.