Today's Pearls Before Swine--Is That Apocalypse Now?

In today’s comic, Rat goes to bring the Guard Duck inside. Eventually, the duck says “You’re neither…You’re an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.” Now it’s been a long time since I saw Apocalypse Now, but is that a quote? I know that the last panel is definitely a quote from Heart of Darkness (is it said in Apocalypse Now?) which what makes me wonder if Pastis is actually quoting Apocalypse Now or if it’s just in the style. Especially the Netflix reference by Rat. Funny in any case.

The dialogue is from Apocalypse Now, the joke being that he has watched it too man times on Netflix. I can’t remember if it also mirrors Heart of Darkness, but I do remember that Mr. Kurtz’s (Col. Kurtz in AN) last words are “the horror.”

It’s from the scene where Martin Sheen first meets Marlon Brando. Brando asks something like, “Are you as assassin?” Sheen replies, “I’m a soldier.” Brando snaps back, “You’re neither- you’re an errand boy.”

The horror! The horror! are the last words of both Mr. (Georges-Antoine) Kurtz in *Heart of Darkness, * and of Col. (Walter E.) Kurtz in Apocalyse Now!

And of course all this dialogue was parodied on Seinfeld when J. Peterman lived in a cave in Burma. :stuck_out_tongue:

The duck also used the “I love the smell of napalm in the morning” line a couple of days ago.

IIRC Apocalypse Now’s story line is basically lifted from Heart of Darkness

He’s a cool duck, though.
I bit Rat’s neighbors don’t play loud music.