Tolkien and the Art of the Manuscript: My visit to view JRRT's original notes and drawings

I spent two hours yesterday wandering around the JRRT display at Marquette U’s Haggerty Museum in Milwaukee. There, I enjoyed examining the original pages of manuscripts from the hand of the good professor himself. They ranged from 1915 thru the 1950’s and beyond. Some documents shown had never been previously published. Here’s a link to the display and for tickets and the book which contains copies of the displayed manuscripts (which I of course bought).

Despite past visits to the Haggerty to view other documents, I was again blown away by the detail, precision, and absolute obsession Tolkien showed in these manuscripts. Art so fine and detailed he must have used the finest of brushes! Maps revised over and over again to get them to correspond to his narrative and worldbuilding! And a hand-written 15 foot long paper spreadsheet just to make sure he got the phases of the moon right, and not just right, but consistent from that which was described in The Hobbit to his description of phases in LOTR, 60 years (middle earth time) later!

It was also heaven on earth for us hardcore Tolkien nerds. Within minutes of arriving, I found myself in intense conversation with a fellow exhibit visitor about the deep lore! (I should point out the first guy approached me, happy to start sharing factoids). We didn’t even duel over the who was the geekiest/most knowledgeable, just shared our sagas and interests!

I goggled most amazed when I saw the Professor’s handwritten graphs and diagrams trying to show how the flows of Mortal Time and Lorien Time intersected and interacted during the Fellowship’s stay there, since he wanted to have them running at different rates. (He abandoned the concept eventually, other than stating that “time flowed differently there”.)

I spent a good 20 minutes gazing at the first known map of Beleriand, from the 1920’s! I fought down my urge to steal the painting of Glórund emerging from Nargothrond to pursue Túrin!

And I had my daughter physically restrain me from absconding with “The Shores of Faery”.

And I marveled at the at the artistry in the original handwritten manuscripts Tolkien produced, like this one from “The Lay of Eärendil”.

There was page after page of awesome stuff there. 2 hours was not enough, but that’s how long we got. The museum did provide magnifying glasses, which was much appreciated. And there was a good sized crowd in that timeslot, but not so many folks were allowed that one could not see everything in relative leisure.

I also learned that during his youth, JRRT read many times the novel She, by H. Rider Haggard. That shouldn’t have surprised me, but it did. I enjoyed that tale quite a bit myself. It must have influenced him at least a bit when he wrote “you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn!”

Tickets are still available and must be reserved in advance, the exhibit runs through December 23rd.

What a trip!

Holy cow – that looks amazing! I need to see if I can work in a PTO day to go up there!

@kenobi_65 they’ve got evening hours on Thursdays. 6-8 PM

Looks amazing. Is this exhibit touring?

I don’t think so, but I’m not certain. I could find no mention of it in the official link I provided.

That looks fantastic! Did they publish a catalogue?

No, according to the website FAQ, although it is related to/builds upon several other recent Tolkien exhibits:

I saw the Morgan exhibit in 2019: amazing, and SUCH good merch in the museum store too. (Not to mention “Middle-earth themed” dishes in the museum restaurant—oooookay, but why not I guess.)

The Marquette show is impressively moderate in its ticket prices, at under $12 adult admission. The Morgan was at least twice that, IIRC (though tbf, it included access to other museum exhibits as well).

Yes. “More details are forthcoming.”

[ETA: The museum shop has it: 55 bucks.]

Thanks!

I’m not a huge Tolkien geek, but I greatly enjoyed reading LOTR and the Hobbit when I was in Jr. High. And, of course, that set the stage for playing D&D in 1979…
This exhibit sounds great, and I know what a huge fan you are, so it must have been quite a treat.

Rats. No way I can get away in December.

I’ve visited Marquette to see Tolkien stuff, but IIRC it was just housed in the library at the time. I do remember moon phase calculations (though it definitely was not 15 feet long), and some sort of notes written on the back of an Oxford lunch (or dinner) menu…

Brian

I’m jealous and I’m really happy you enjoyed it.

Good lord, is that how he did all of his writing? No wonder it took him so long!

He really was rather Entish, wasn’t he?

I think that was what he did just when he felt “fancy”. Lots of the manuscripts were nothing but examples of his spidery yet nearly if not truly illegible penmanship.

I thought of you while I was there. Were you close enough to NYC to get to the Morgan exhibit? And he was entish, for sure. He’d have needed an ent’s lifetime to get it all sorted out.

I missed that. Life’s been a bit topsy turvy of late. I should have made it happen. I could have taken the train in. I haven’t been into the City since Pre-COVID.

I’ve now got a copy, it’s worth every penny.

Ordering now.

:grinning:

I’m kind of enjoying occasionally checking that catalogue link and seeing the “left in stock” number decrease. 134 when I posted the link yesterday, 125 now. Get 'em while they last!

(disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Marquette exhibit or anybody involved in producing the catalogue, I just think Tolkien arcana is cool)

They got more. It’s back at 155.