Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing

Agree, and yet…some stars are better able to shield their kids from this sort of thing, others seem to have their publicists make phone calls. Successfully shielding your kids may mean “taking time off to raise my kids” and moving to Minot, North Dakota (I think New Hampshire and Montana are favorites). Or your kids spending their out of the house time with a nondescript nanny. If you’ve been a movie star (or starlet) for more than two minutes, and don’t know what that feeding frenzy is like you are amazingly naive, or know what its like and bring kids into it anyway…you need to carry some of the blame.

Dangerosa - agree completely. That’s what I was trying to say earlier but didn’t say as well

Looking at those pictures, and in fact the majority of Suri pictures published, I can’t help but notice almost all of them are only with Katie. Seems to me she has no protective instincts when it comes to keeping the kid away from the paps - she uses her more like an accessory. The “doing it all to protect my child” bit gets more than a little bit sullied by mom’s willingness to subject her to that horror.

If she’s been planning her and Suri’s escape for a while, it may be part of a bigger plan. All those pictures of her and Suri, and so few of Tom and Suri put her in the position of being able to say “see, I’ve been the primary parent.”

Her Dad is apparently a divorce attorney.

And since I’m on the “little tolerance for Scientology” camp, if that’s the motivation, I might choose the horror of the paparazzi too.

The whole thing seems a little bizarre to me.

His scientology fetish was pretty well known as was his previous history of marriage flops (not being judgemental, just commenting). Yet she made the decision to hop in the cot with him and now is getting all the sympathy. She was a little more than a vacuous teenager.

Given what he has done and what he could have done it comes across he has made some pretty bad decisions in his life.

I don’t think she was a teenager when they met- she must have been around 27, but she sure acted like a starry-eyed teen.

I think he snatched her up just when she was reaching a peak in her fame and had announced publicly that she had a huge crush on him on him as a kid. They met not long after that, and next thing you knew- boom!- they were married.

I think that she ‘converted’ to Scientology almost as soon as they started dating, and they were engaged at about 6 months in to the relationship with Tom’s dramatic proposal at the top of the Eiffel Tower, which was fairly quickly followed by a fantasy wedding at a castle. I don’t think much more than a whole year had passed before the baby was born.

That must have been one heck of a year!

And Tom’s ex-wife won an Oscar - not that year, but a year or so previously.

How exactly is should going to keep her daughter away from the paps? Seems to me that Suri is going to be hounded by the press no matter what, because she’s the child of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Ditto for the kids of Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt, Prince Charles & Diana, etc.

I think that if really famous parents opt to bring children into the world, they have a duty to teach them how to deal with the paparazzi from an early age. If you live next to a lake, teach your kids to swim. If you are famous, teach your kids to deal with the press. Basic survival skills.

She was 28. :rolleyes:

IIRC, they got married *after *Suri was born.

I don’t give a flip one way or another about any of these people, but if you haven’t seen John Sweeney, reporter for BBC’s Panorama lose his shit after investigating the Church of Scientology. He has a great article in the UK Independent about what happens when the Church of Scientology comes after you.

Definitely worth a read.

The news today is saying that Tom and Katie have already reached a settlement. So I’m thinking Katie has lots of dirt & leverage on Tom; she & her divorce lawyer father have been planning this for a while; maybe the parents really are thinking of the child by not drAgging this out; that pre-nip must have covered Everything; & finally never believe a celebrity when they say their marriage is just fine.

I’ll bet there was plenty of pre-nip. Or none. Depending on your thoughts on Tom.:smiley:

When will I learn that I always make typos when I post from my phone . Oh well. At least pre nip for pre nup is amusing

I rewatched John Sweeney’s Panorama, and discovered that there’s an hour-long follow up from 2010 with a number of high-ranking Scientologists who have left the church, including the head of security that worked so intently to make the guy miserable the first time around.

And to be relevant, Tom has a brief cameo describing his desire to spread the Scientology.

2007 Sweeney documentary

2010 Sweeney documentary

Katie’s going back to the faith of her childhood, no surprise: Katie Holmes Returns To Catholic Church | HuffPost Entertainment

Whew, finally she’ll be away from all that crazy ritualistic nonsense.

Not to mention the secretive, irrational church leadership.

Just rewatched Batman Begins the other day. I thought Katie did pretty good in the part.
I couldn’t remember why she passed on doing Dark Knight so when I did a search for it it says she chose to instead do the forgetable Mad Money with other female actresses and a female director.
In retrospect I wonder how much of this decision was pushed by Tom. Almost as if he didn’t want her around other men.

Yes, because that’s the reason people have problems with Scientology. It’s that they are masons.