Tomatoe soup and grilled cheese

Has anybody made tomato soup from tomato paste? I tried adding milk to it, but the acidity of the tomatoes curdled the milk and it looked like strings of mozzarella. Maybe I could thin the paste with water, then add milk? Any tips?

May sound gross, but try rye with Mexican Velveeta. Yummy.

The American Chemical Society determined that gouda, gruyére or manchego cheeseshave the ideal pH for micelle formation and are bests for grilled cheese. I use a mixture of smoked gouda and cheddar with excellent results.

GCS: buttered Winnipeg style light rye with dijon or grainy mustard and Jarlsberg cheese, cut diagonally once with excessive amounts of ketchup for dipping. *

I usually have Campbell’s tomato but I’ll hotrod that with thyme, basil, fresh ground pepper and a bit of goat cheese or creme fraiche for extra tang.
*I know it’s redundant when there is a bowl of tomato soup there but piss off, it’s my sandwich. :slight_smile:

FWIW, a chain called Original Joe’s has a dish comprised of tomato bacon soup and grilled cheese croutons that is my absolute favourite winter dish. Do yourself a favour and don’t look at the nutritional information…

Sheesh - first somebody posts on Facebook about an ad for learning to speak Latin that has a Mexican flag on it (since it’s “Latin America”), and now this; is there some sort of conspiracy to recruit Dan Quayle to run for Vice President again?

And yes, I realize that (a) he never made the “don’t send me to Latin America; I don’t speak Latin” comment (I never did find out if he ever did say something like, “You want to send me to Latin America? Shouldn’t you send somebody who speaks Spanish?”), and (b) it was “potatoe” and not “tomatoe.”

Yes. In fact, until August of 2015, I don’t think I ever had tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich at the same time. One or the other by themselves (well, it was usually more “tomato soup with other vegetables and usually some form of pasta thrown in”), yes, but never together.

Whatever is available and can melt well. There’s nothing wrong with a grilled mozzarella sandwich.

If you’re going to dip: diagonal cut. However, I never do.

Sourdough.

So, some say tomato, and some say tomatoe, so let’s call the whole thread off?

I honestly thought this was an obscure allusion to the old Campbell’s “soup and sandwich” jingle, which used the tune of “Love and Marriage.” But on doing a little research I realize that that line isn’t in the jingle; it’s the *original *lyrics that say “You can’t have one without the other.” The jinglesimply advises that “Soup and sandwich go together.”

I honestly don’t think you can have one without the other. We’re doing a soup potlock at work later this month and my first thought was tomato soup, but my second thought was “no way in hell am I also making them a bunch of grilled cheese sammiches.”

If Quayle had been elected president, he would have put the “e” back into NATO. :smiley:

Ideally:

Campbell’s Tomato Soup, made with milk.

Either Velveeta or sharp cheddar works for the cheese. The bread must be either sourdough or Dutch Dill Rye (if you can find it).

Saltines in the soup. Sandwich cut on the diagonals. No dipping.

Unhappily, Campbell’s tomato soup bothers my stomach nowadays. I think it has too much citric acid in it or something.

Happily, I can easily make tomato soup with a can of Cento tomatoes, some chicken bouillon, and some milk or cream.

A bowl of that with some Danish fontina grilled on white bread will make a great lunch this Saturday.

My favorite is a blend of tomatœ and potatœ soups.

So yummy – I think it’s a blend of all the best flavors of each and the lingering aftertaste of the œ ligature.

Where is this tomato soup from? Is it bag or from HOME? DIY soup? why not try out some different cheeses and see which sticks?

Campbell’s does different soup recipes by region – which is really bizarre when you move, open up a can and discover it looks and tastes very different.

I can no longer eat Campbell’s soup in my region (Quebec). Ever since the company abandoned its low-salt experiment, they’ve added enough sugar to their recipe that it now tastes like a warm tomato milkshake.