Tomatoe soup and grilled cheese

Hells no! Buttered bread, a layer of cheese, a layer of dill pickle slices, another layer of cheese, and buttered bread. Grill.

Burn the heretic!

No- grill the heretic- with a side of pickles!

That works too, but grilling it open works better and gives a different flavour to the cheese IMO.

From my childhood: white bread, buttered on the outside, several layers of very thinly sliced cheddar and a smidge of mustard. My mom always served Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup with grilled cheese, but these days I am willing to have tomato soup with it. Husband prefers American to cheddar so I sometimes will use American instead of cheddar. Either soup must be reconstituted with milk and served in a mug with a spoon. The sandwich must be cut on the diagonal using the spatula.

An alternative way to make a grilled cheese… with a really good baguette, is to roast it (bake it) in the oven. Baguette and gruyere baked in the oven is wonderful and crunchy and hot and tasty :smiley:

My local grocer makes and sells tomato, red pepper and basil bisque. It is amazing.

Also smoked gouda makes a fine grilled cheese.

Yes, I can. I’ll take my grilled cheese with a bowl of chili!

Hm, grilled cheese with chili never occurred to me… but it sounds pretty good, now that you mention it. My only objection is that I regard either one of those by itself as a meal, so it’d feel like I was eating two meals at once.

One possible difference–not that I can tell in terms of flavor–is that a lot of table salt is iodized, while kosher salt is generally not (or possibly never–I’m not sure, but Morton’s isn’t.)

Correction: American “cheese”

“American cheeze”.

It’s “American cheeze like product”.

My grilled cheese is on white bread using 2 slices of American cheese. I will eat grilled cheese without tomato soup but not the opposite. The soup is made with skim milk, but instead of using a whole can of milk I use about 2/3 of a can of milk. The soup is warmed up very hot in the microwave, stirred, and a sufficient number of oyster crackers to cover the top of the soup and then a bit more crackers.

Nope, it’s just a mild soft cheddar. Don’t know why people have a problem with that but they are wrong when they say it’s not “real”.

Some of it has a kind of sharp secondary taste. At least to me, and I’ve never found a cheese I don’t like - sharp, mild, flavored (like with horseradish) whatever.

*American cheese is a type of processed cheese. *

Processed cheese (also known as prepared cheese, cheese product, plastic cheese, or cheese singles) is a food product made from cheese (and sometimes other, unfermented, dairy by-product ingredients); plus emulsifiers, saturated vegetable oils, extra salt, food colorings, and/or whey or sugar.

You might want to call it processed, because it’s a blend of other cheeses. But not all of it has all those other by-products. It’s cheese. Not “cheese”.

Is Colby Jack not cheese because it is a mixture of cheeses?

Because there’s American cheese from a deli and there’s Cheese Food that comes individually wrapped in plastic and the latter is what people think of. Both make perfectly good grilled chees(z)e.

Thread resurrected because that’s what was for dinner last night. But elevated, because my wife was cooking and she doesn’t do “ordinary” anything. So it was grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches (hand-sliced bread, American cheese, tomato slice, Penzey’s Pasta Sprinkle) and Tomato and Basil Bisque (with a sprinkling of Parmesan and a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper.)

Comfort food par excellence.

A great lunch on a cold day. American or cheddar cheese (better yet, add some bacon), on white or rye bread, and it has to be Campbell’s tomato soup. Just has to be. Oh, and a dill pickle and some chips on the side.

Yum.

I use Kraft Shredded Italian cheese on mine. My secret to the perfect grilled cheese is, when the bread is browned perfectly, take a bit of the shredded cheese and sprinkle it into the bottom of the frying pan. Then place the sandwich on top of that cheese and give it 30 seconds to a minute to brown. You have a wonderful cheesy crust on the sandwich that brings the whole thing to another level.