tomndebb, allowing racist hate speech was a bullshit mod call

So being incompetent at hate speech is an out now? This guy is literally spewing anti-Muslim and anti-non-white hate speech.

And attracting racist newbies as well, which worked out so wonderfully last time …

Are you saying you’re keeping the virulent racist around as an example to others? What the ever-living fuck? We’re all perfectly capable of going to Stormfront if we need to see racist nutjobs in the flesh, we don’t need it here.

This is a very bad mod call.

Still haven’t figured out the Ignore function?

Regards,
Shodan

A link would have been nice. Anyway it does racists a world of good to be laughed at, they’re all so serious and gloomy.

IIRC “the new guy” in question is Construct.

Click on the blue arrow beside tomndebb’s name in the quote box.

“Hate Speech” per se is a very difficult moderation decision. It places us in the position of having to make value judgements that make limit the expressing of opinions. That’s something that can’t be done lightly because where does it stop? Everyone’s going to have a different answer to that question.

I won’t speak for Tom but usually hate speech - should I choose to moderate it - would need to be directed at an individual poster or in some form be limiting the ability of posters to express themselves. Should a poster be problematic in other ways - as true racists tend to be - the chain will be shorter and I might act quicker.

Remember, just because you think it’s hate speech doesn’t mean everyone else does.

The board has a way of taking care of itself and will eat their own if need be, rarely need any heavy handed moves by mods. Let 'em expose themselves how they truly are.

If we’re talking about Construct, perhaps a link might be in order…

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=18590761&postcount=8

The high points:

So, maybe not hate speech? Good to know.

I’m a really bad judge when it comes to Pit comments; I just don’t really visit there enough to have an opinion. Maybe in total Contact has earned a banning. Some of the posts at least should have earned a warning - either Mod Lite or Official. He strikes me as a “one trick pony” with just the single ax grinding going on and that makes for almost an instant highjack when he jumps into a thread.

But some of the examples, if you change them a bit, come close to things I’ve seen fly here before. In the first one Ethilrist gives change “Islam” to “Christianity” or for that matter “any religion” and I’ve basically seen that thought given by some of our more of our regular dopers without anyone blinking an eye. Being critical of religion, or a specific religion like say the Roman Catholic Church, just isn’t all that unusual here.

Oh boy, two different threads about me?

For what it’s worth, and I doubt anyone will believe me, I really don’t hate anyone. Some groups I dislike, and others I think we’d be better off without, but I don’t hate people collectively and especially not as individuals. It’d be nice if leftists and moderates acknowledge that it’s possible to critique protected groups without hating them.

I choose not to use it, because I stopped thinking that, just because I have the blankie over my head, the boogieman has disappeared, around the time I turned 3.

Really?

I shudder to think how you would treat those you actually hated.

After all, duty calls.

This thread isn’t about Construct’s racism or lack thereof, it’s about tom’s rationale for not moderating said racism.

It reads to me as if the mods are saying (now that Jonathan Chance’s also weighed in), as long as you’re not directing your hate speech at a specific poster, then you’re golden. So stuff like “the low intelligence and incompetence of non-Jewish non-European peoples” is just fine.

Speaking as a non-Jewish non-European poster, that’s bullshit.

I wonder how that would fly if Construct had said “the thievery and greed of Jewish peoples”…

Islam is a religion not a race. The things that Construct has said about Muslims is no worse than many other posters here have said about Christianity.

Ah, I thought it might have been about princess something or other in the weird and seemingly disappeared thread on ‘pinks’ and ‘blacks’ and 1848.

Sure, but I’ve also made racist comments about Arabs and African Americans.

'Tis true. And made various comments about the role of white people in America.

Has this not always been the case? I don’t recall you starting any threads when Der Trihs was spewing his hate speech.

They didnt ban Princesswhatever for her racist posts; this coming from a pink, shoeleather poster; so why ban Construct? Its disturbing that the OP would want someone banned for their ideas. Ideas are why this board exists.