Tomorrow I make my Jeopardy! appearance

I think it’s just starting here in DC. (didn’t read thread in case of spoilers.)

Hey cool! I’ve never watched the show “knowing” someone before!

Don’t know if you saw this or were told this in your briefing with the legal types, Labdad, but there is a rule (or at least used to be) that if the show was preempted for any reason, they reserve the right to act as if it never happened (in other words no cash or prizes). So before my episode I wished for world peace and general calm a little more fervently and with a little self-interest!

It’s definitely airing in Boston. Go Labdad!

Nail-biting! If you were Louis sorry.

What Larry said.

Also, you have the most amazing precise handwriting I’ve ever seen, dude.

Results in spoiler:

No. He came in second, despite getting final Jeopardy right. The defending champ won.

And that was about the easiest final Jeopardy I’ve seen in a long time.

No kidding!

I don’t know for sure but, in the past Jeopardy! does 46 weeks of shows. The new season always begins on Labor Day, and ends in late July.

So if my calculations are correct, if one counts back 6 weeks before the first Monday in September 2006 [the first day of the 06-07 season], one will come up with the 05-06 season ending on July 21.

Jeopardy! tapes 5 shows a day, generally on Tuesday & Wednesday. So it appears that our hero Labdad just got in under the wire.

BTW, Labdad’s episode won’t air until 10 pm Eastern time on the West Coast of the US, so be careful with spoilers.

I don’t know what he’s like in person, but

that guy who won comes off as a total dick.

That was an incredibly exciting show, and not just because we knew someone on it, either!

Sorry! It was funy watching you, anyway.

Arsenal, ffffft. Shoulda been Manchester United, mate!

[spoiler]I was shocked, Labdad, at the low FJ wager.

When I saw the category was “Business Firsts”, I thought “Ok, he’s completely dominated all the history questions. Since this category is essentially “Business History”, he’ll have to make a fat wager on it”. Ah well…you still had quite the impressive showing. Congrats![/spoiler]
And yeah, that was certainly in the top five easiest FJ clues I’ve ever seen.

Ahh, whaddaya expect…the guy was from Jersey. :slight_smile:
But yeah, I agree…he seemed like a very smug, pompus ass.

Talk about cocky body language…the champion was very arrogant, and a touch theatrical. You were a pleasure to watch, and that first round was exciting enough!

Oh, crapola! I missed it. Does anyone in the NYC area know if this will re-run in the next day or two? (on a non-cable channel).

In any case, I’m sure you did great, Labdad! :slight_smile:

Thanks one and all!

rocking chair, - what a nice compliment. After the show they asked me why I kept saying “please.” I said I didn’t realize I was - it’s just how I was raised.

I’ll answer all questions, and I’ll address Hal Briston’s observation once the show has aired on the west coast.

I’m here to tell you, it’s a hell of a lot easier playing in your den than it is in the studio!

When I went out there, I told folks it was my goal to get through a show without making a total ass out of myself. I’ll leave it to my doper friends to tell me whether I succeeded.

For now, having watched it a 4:30 eastern at work, and again here at home with a lot a friends who didn’t get to see it this afternoon (and having had several glasses of bourbon while doing so), I think it’s best if I defer further posts until I have a clearer head.

But please know your good words mean the world to me!

Excellent run at the end, and that “error” putting you back in the running made for quite an exciting game.

Wished you had wiped the floor with that butt-head, tho…

It just ended her in the west, c’mon, dish!

I’m looking forward to hearing it – I thought the guy seemed like a jerk, too. My daughter said I was predisposed to not like the other two contestants, though, because I was rooting for a Doper. Not true! The woman seemed nice enough… That guy, though! Very arrogant!

I’ll bet. My dad and I commented on this while we were watching. We were just sitting in the living room, completely relaxed and eating peach pie, and we still each blanked on several answers we knew perfectly well. We agreed that we couldnt even imagine trying to answer this stuff on a TV set, in front of a large audience, with actual $$$ on the line! You seemed very cool and collected, though – not at all nervous.

As I said, you seemed very cool and collected. Also very gentlemanly, polite, and intelligent. You made us Dopers proud.

(it’s just finished here on ABC7 in the SF Bay Area).

Labdad, you came across as a true gentleman and a wonderful contestant. Even if I hadn’t known you to be a Doper, I’d have been rooting for you from just about the first time you answered a question. I agree with others that the defending champion was very cocky. I also liked the woman in the middle, but it was clear from early on that you were truly “in the game”.

You really did make us proud!

[On preview, what Jess said…]

Thanks for the info, 5 time champ. I’m in the pool for 2006-2007, and although I didn’t specify any “blackout dates” during which I wouldn’t be available, it would be nice to know when the tapings start up again! So many questions I should have asked at the audition but didn’t <sigh>

WTG Labdad. I never ever watch TV but I tuned in to see you. You really had an exciting game. Very proud of your history prowess :slight_smile: :slight_smile: