Top 5 Must Have CD's of 2000 are...?

Crud…i can’t belive i forgot to mention The The-Naked Self…excelent cd that was.
Oh…and i was wrong about the release date of the new NIN ep…it’s on November 7th…that is all.

1. Johnny Cash - Murder
  2. The Beautiful South - Painting it Red
  3. XTC - Wasp Star
  4. Sumack - Now Hear This
  5. Radiohead - Kid A

Whoops, my bad. Forgot what the CD was called…

I LOVE Jill Scott. I want to hunt her down, tie her up and make her sing “One is the magic #” and “Honey Molasses” for me while I paint my toenails.

If she comes anywhere near Baltimore for a concert, I will camp out fo tickets. :slight_smile:

Yes, quite good too. They just played a concert at the Warfield and I got to see them for the first time. Great great show. I had a wonderfull time.

Gone in Sixty Seconds - Music From the Motion Picture.

Note that this is NOT the Original MP soundtrack, as that sucks. This is the musid from CD. It’s so good, I have had it stolen twice.

And the Godsmack is okay, but the new Orgy is pheflamin’nomenal.

Metallica S&M is a good one, too, though a bunch of metal head purist nay sayers will tell you otherwise. For the most part they are easily led automatons and can be ignored, as this album kicks ass.

Lexi, are you talking about the new Godsmack (Awake) or the old one (self titled)?

Radiohead-Kid A is indeed a must-have. I just picked up the new A3 disc, and while it’s not the masterpiece of the last one, it’s still thoroughly enjoyable.

I know, I know, I KNOW that Moby-Play came out last year. I know that it’s been optioned out to over 600 movie soundtracks and car commercials. I know you can’t open your eyes without someone trying to shove it down your throat, but it is PURE genius. I still haven’t taken it out of my CD player.

The new Peter Mulvey is lovely, too, for you folkies out there.

The new one, silly Silver fire.
Although the old one was pretty good too.

But really, you need to get down on GI60S. Okay flick, great soundtrack.

Okay, silly Lexicon, I figured you were talking about the new Godsmack. So this soundtrack you speak of is pretty good then, eh? Who’s on it? (Hijack, post pad, call it what you will.)

Anyway, I have to agree with AudreyK and say No Doubt’s The Return of Saturn.

I already got Alice Cooper’s new one. Great.
I also got the Scorpions live with the Berlin Philharmonic. No they didn’t rip off the idea from metallica, I’d say Metallica ripped them off. Scorps are much better anyway.

Dunno what else, really.

3 Doors Down- the better life
The Cure- bloodflowers
Orgy- vapor transmission
Papa Roach- infest
A Perfect Circle- mer de noms

1. Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of the Bewilderbeast
  2. Coldplay - Parachutes(this year’s Travis, if not better)
  3. David Gray - White Ladder
  4. U2 - All that you can’t leave behind
  5. Radiohead - Kid A/ Sinead O’Connor - Faith and Courage/
    Doves - Lost Souls/ Placebo - Black Market Music ( All on my Christmas wish list, so I can’t choose yet.)

Yellow is a better single than anything Travis have released, but The Man Who… was a better album. Both of them have still got a long way to go until they reach Urban Hymns standard, though…

True but Parachutes is only Coldplay’s debut album, The Man Who, is Travis second and both have scope for improvement. I prefer Coldplay to Travis although they didn’t really try on the second half of the album, the first half is amazing. Nice to seen an indie revival to counteract the bland pop music we have. I forgot to add JJ72 to my original list, which IMO are better than either Travis or Coldplay. I haven’t heard the album yet, only singles from their gigs like Algeria which is phenomenal but I doubt if they’ll get mainstream success or even if they want it. All three give me something to look forward to when Westlife, the Tweenies, the Wombles, S club 7 and the Spice girls try for Christmas no. 1.

I honestly cant think of any good cd’s that have come out this year. Maybe there is some but i cant think of them right off hand. I want the new Johnny Cash ('Live from Folsom in ‘69’ or something) but i cant find it anywhere. The last two good cd’s that have come out that i can think of right off the top of my head are:

Long Beach Dub All-Stars - Right Back

and

311 - Soundsystem

Those were both Fall '99.

The new ICP came out on Halloween, that might be good but i cant afford it and their last CD kinda sucked anyway.

Wow! A bunch of votes for Johnny Cash! I recommend all his reissues that have come out this year (Love; God; Murder; the two prison albums with bonus tracks …).

As for new releases:

1. Steve Earle - Transcendental Blues
  2. The Go-Betweens - Friends of Rachel Wirth (Way better than you’d expect)
  3. Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
  4. Pearl Jam - Binaural (plus the soon to be 70 (!) double live albums)
  5. PJ Harvey - Songs from …

HenrySpencer

#1**Godspeed You Black Emperor* - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!
Seriously, check these guys out on Napster or whatever.

NOFX - The Decline
It might not be quite a 2000 release, but’s one of the best punk songs released in the last 5 years.

Boysetsfire - After The Eulogy
Great hardcore/emo band.

Incubus - When Incubus Attacks
An acoustic EP by a new metal band. Very suprising, but very good.

Rancid- Rancid
An old band playing old-school punk. Quite refreshing.

NOFX’s The Decline is really good (came out in November, last year) and much better than the rather disappointing full-length they released this year.

For punk albums, I’ll submit two:

Dillinger Four Versus God
The best punk band out there

Connie Dungs Eternal Bad Luck Charm

(of course, they’re only punk bands…)

sidxiii

“I’d rather be at home, listening to the Ramones…”

In reverse order of must have…

1.) Modest Mouse – The Moon & Antartica
2.) Radiohead – Kid A
3.) Sunny Day Real Estate – The Rising Tide
4.) PJ Harvey – Songs from…
5.) Pinback - self titled. (yes, this came out in 10/1999 – so blow me. Some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard. No exaggeration, I have listend to this disc more times this year than my next top 5 combined.)

I only have two on my list, strangely enough I bought them on the same day.

1. I am Shelby Lynne. Amazing a '60s soul record made by a (nominally) country singer. My current theme song is “Life is Bad”

2. Furnace Room Lullaby by Neko Case and her Boyfriends on Mint Records. simply the best roots-neotrad I dunno whatelse to classify it as record since Lucinda Williams Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. The songs are unforgettable and the singing is stunning. Standout songs include “Thrice All American” and the title song. It’s an excellent record if you can dig it out.
    My 2Cents

Keith