Totally Subvert the ending of a work of fiction

“No, wait…there’s some more dust on it…let me blow if off…it’s TO SERVE MAYO…it’s a cookbook for white people!”

At the end of The Grapes of Wrath, NOBODY is breast-feeding.

After the whale sneezes the raft out, Gheppeto and Jiminy Cricket drown in the raging sea. Pincocchio floats (he wood), eventuall being carried by the tide to a small island where the superstitious natives use him for firewood.

I posted a revised ending to Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Mod Marley didn’t realize it was a joke and added spoiler tags. :cool:

Two years later, Boo Radley was hung for murdering Jem.

Bruce Willis wasn’t actually dead in The Sixth Sense", he was really so severely depressed it felt like a living death, with a wife that ignored him and others treating him like he didn’t exist. He had even stopped changing clothes day after day, always wearing the same dark suit.

He eventually got better after a divorce, some counseling and an antidepressant prescription. He diagnosed the kid who saw dead people as being a severe schizophrenic and had him committed.

O realizes that Sir Stephen was going to leave her, there was nothing she could do. She had completely subsumed herself to him, given him her heart, her soul, her sex, all without asking for anything in return. She had done it gladly, for despite, or perhaps because of, the indignities heaped upon her by the whips, chains and crops, despite having to publicly present herself as a slave, she had been suffused with pleasure in the knowledge that it was being done in the name of the love that existed between her and Sir Stephen.

But now Sir Stephen was leaving her, that love existed no longer, and all that she had done had been rendered meaningless by that simple fact. It occurred to O that, since their love existed no longer, she no longer wished to exist.

O requested an audience with Sir Stephen, and he was kind enough to grant it.

“I know that you will leave me now,” O said. “I accept my fate, but I no longer wish to endure it. I beg your permission to die, my master.”

“You may not die, mine,” said Sir Stephen, his clear grey eyes piercing her to her very soul. “I have been engaged in some important business dealings with a large American corporation that wishes to expand into Europe with an entertainment venue. They are called Disney, and you are going to be one of the rides in their new park.”

Leading of course to the inevitable sequel (and theme park ride): Perverts of the Caribbean

From an early draft of the screenplay for E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial.
[last lines]

E.T.: Come…

Elliot: [solemnly] Stay…

E.T.: [puts his finger to his glowing heart] Ouch.

Elliot: [mimics the same action, tearfully] Ouch.
[Elliot’s heart start’s to glow] Ow…OOHHHH!!!AAAAAAAAH!!..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
[bright light shoots out of all of Elliot’s orifices and he explodes into a shower of red mist and glowing embers. Everyone else recoils in horror.]

E.T. Home…

[lights fill the sky which are quickly revealed to be an armada of dropships from E.T.s civilization. Large nuclear scale explosions are seen in the distance as cities are annihilated by orbital bombardment. E.T.s own ship disgorges squads of other E.T.s, some in mechanized power army. They start using their finger lights to explode people in the crowd as the screen fades to black and the credits roll over the sound of horrified screams.

I think every M. Night movie should end with him waking up in bed and realizing the movie was just a bad dream.

In To Kill a Mockingbird, Tom Robinson cracks during cross examination and confesses to raping Mayella.

Huckleberry Finn:
"…But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can’t stand it. I been there before.
So, I took Tom aside and let him know my plan: to go up the river to Cairo, and become a slave catcher, since I done spent so much time with Jim, and had ciphered out how runaway slaves think, only to find out that Miss Watson had already freed him. I also told Tom that if we could just keep Jim in that slave state till 6 months had near passed, he could be sold at auction again as a ‘non-accounted’ slave. Tom 'lowed that it was a sure ‘nuff fine plan, and said that Simon LaGree hisself couldn’t come up with none better, ceptin’ he added that Sid ought to be whacked out for being a rat. (Tom always came up with a really good topping to anything I could fetch out of my own head, since he had been to school, and read all about kings, and their truck.)

Feyd Rautha: “See? I SAID I’d kill him!”

Alia: “Truly, he was the Kwisatz Haderach.”

“I know what you’re thinking. ‘Did he fire 6 shots or only 5?’ Well, to tell you the truth, I’ve forgotten myself in all this excitement. But seeing as how this is a 45 Magnum, and would blow your head clean off, you have to ask yourself a question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

The psycho pulled his gun, but Harry pulled his faster. Only… whaddya know, Harry wasn’t kidding. He really HAD forgotten how many shots he’d taken. Oopsie! Out of ammo!

Bang! Hary took a shot to the head and died instantly. Meanwhile, the psycho went back to the school bus to sing another round of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” before killing all those kids.

Quint was dead, Hooper was missing, and the Orca was sinking, but Chief Brody wasn’t giving up. He grabbed a rifle, took careful aim at the oxygen tank in the oncoming shark’s mouth, and fired.

Bullseye! The tank exploded, and the shark was blasted into a thousand bloody pieces. Moments later, Hooper surfaced, and Brody joyfully hugged him. TOgether, they started paddling back to Amity Island.

What they forgot, however, was that the thousands of bloody pieces of shark flesh in the water sent out a powerful intoxicating aroma that other sharks for miles around quickly picked up on. Within minutes, Hooper and Brody were surrounded by dozens of ravenous makos, bull sharks and tiger sharks- all much smaller than the great white Brody had just killed, but plenty big and numerous enough to tear them both to shreds within seconds.