This was a “trendy” expression at one time or another (maybe during the OJ trial) but now it is so beyond its shelf-life it is a wonder to me that people are able to say it and not realize how dumb they sound most of the time.
That expressing being “play the race card.”
The phrase is ridiculously overused and as result of this overuse, has become a joke of irony to me. I call it the playing the “play the race card” card phenomenon.
[QUOTE=VCO3]
I absolutely cannot stand “No worries!” (used as an affirmative) for some reason. It spontaneously cropped out a few years ago, and now it seems like I can’t have any interaction with hipsters without it cropping up. It just makes me want to punch someone when I hear it.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=VCO3]
Another that’s really proliferated in the past year is white urban hipsters using the british slang “cheers.” Next person that does this to me gets a “Ferry down the mersey!” and a fat lip. Yeah, it sucks that we in the U.S. don’t have an analogue to the phrase, but that doesn’t mean that you’re not a douchebag if you use it.
[/QUOTE]
I wish I could meet you just so I could say “Cheers!” and watch you do nothing.
[QUOTE=teela brown]
I was never interested enough to ask, but now seems like a good opportunity. What did the word “word” used as slang mean?
[/QUOTE]
“Well said”, “indeed”, or “I agree”, depending on context. I use it occasionally, myself, but only online. I sound absurd saying anything even remotely slang-y in person.
That said, I’m rather fond of “no worries” and use it often.
[QUOTE=VCO3]
I absolutely cannot stand “No worries!” (used as an affirmative) for some reason. It spontaneously cropped out a few years ago, and now it seems like I can’t have any interaction with hipsters without it cropping up. It just makes me want to punch someone when I hear it.
[/QUOTE]
I moved to the US from Australia in 1983, and I’ve been using “no worries,” ever since. Now that you mention it, I have heard a few more people say it recently, but it never makes much of an impression on me. I guess I’m just used to hearing it.
On the other hand, I don’t think you’re talking about me - nobody’s ever going to mistake me for a “hipster” (whatever the hell that is).
VC03: I am one of those people you want to punch As an Aussie I say “No worries” without even thinking. And I am one of those people who say cheers to.
But in my defence I think I’ve been saying it for a decade or more.
I think I’m going to stand up and do a mega-primal scream the next time someone says in one of our staff meetings, “We need to think outside the box here, people.”
I’m from New England, and we say wicked like the rest of the country does hella. I told one of my friends that something was “hella” cool…and she kept teasing me about that word.
Second on my bad too…I hate that phrase! My bad what? Bad isn’t a noun!
[QUOTE=silver1]
I think I’m going to stand up and do a mega-primal scream the next time someone says in one of our staff meetings, “We need to think outside the box here, people.”[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]
Shortly after the Enron scandal broke, I heard a description of that corporate atmosphere and its endless use of the phrase “Think outside the box.” That lead the interviewee to wonder out loud about the validity of the box if they were always trying to think outside of it.
So, my response to that phrase might me something like “I have a better idea: Let’s find one we don’t have to think outside of, ok?”
[QUOTE=silver1]
I think I’m going to stand up and do a mega-primal scream the next time someone says in one of our staff meetings, “We need to think outside the box here, people.”
[/QUOTE]
I wish this were mine, but it’s from some other thread. Someone was frequently praised in meetings for thinking outside of the box, and he said something like, “That’s because you won’t give us enough money to buy a box!”
Maybe you could come up with a variation that would work for you.
I only know one or two people who say this, but I’ve never, ever heard it said where it didn’t sound totally awkward: jonesing for something.
Another one: This, that and the other.
Also, ‘looky-loo’ for people who slow down to look at accidents. The term is far too overly cutesy. Anyway, personally, if I have to drive slow for half an hour and then come to a place where there’s a lot of lights, well, I’m going to look. I don’t get the idea that you should just drive on through, which seems kind of callous.
For the person who asked, ‘Word!’ means 'Isn’t that the truth!"
[QUOTE=Licentious Ectomorph]
I thought “hella,” “props,” and “my bad” went out in the 90s. I hardly ever hear them any more. Then again, I am 36, so maybe I’m not hanging out with the people who say them.
I used to say “yadda yadda” until I became aware of its association with Seinfeld. I hate that show with a passion, and I don’t want anyone thinking that’s where I got it. I kinda miss it.
[/QUOTE]
[Quote=Deaf Geek]
Second on my bad too…I hate that phrase! My bad what?
[/Quote]
My bad…grammar, of course.
I think I’m in a spot of trouble here, because I tend to use “cheers” and “no worries” rather often. Er, and “no problem”, too. That last one, I can’t seem to help it; what I really want to say most of the time is “Actually, it’s a really big problem”, but it just slips out.