[QUOTE=LifeOnWry]
Ohhhhhhh, yes! Along with other “business shorthand” that makes me crazy:
“I am taking a vacay” - it’s a vacaTION, you dipstick.
“We’re going to have a convo” - I’m sure you mean conversation.
[/QUOTE]
I first noticed it with words like situation becoming “sitch.” It doesn’t bother me that much because I don’t hear it very often. However, I’ve never heard these words cut off at a vowel sound. Vacay and convo would quickly begin to bug me.
[QUOTE=Liberal]
Just out of curiosity, what are you supposed to call what an executive producer has done?
[/QUOTE]
I don’t know.
It’s an adjunctive title to someone’s name: i.e., “Jerry Wald, Executive Producer,”, or “Executive Producer: Jerry Wald,” so I suppose one would say something along the lines of “The movie’s executive producer was Jerry Wald” or perhaps “The movie’s excellent/incompentent executive producer was Jerry Wald” or “An excellent/poor job by executive producer Jerry Wald.”
It’s a title or position, not an activity; much the same as vice-president or president. For example, one would say that Bill Clinton was president through most of the nineties, but they wouldn’t say that the U.S. was ‘presidented’ by Bill Clinton through most of the nineties.
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
But people don’t say “the film was executive-producered.” They change producer to the verb.
We don’t say the President presidented, we change it to the verb and say he presided.
[/QUOTE]
But Executive Producer is a title, not a verb, even though the title contains what would otherwise be a verb. A person fulfilling that role may be producing but he/she is not ‘executive producing’, as executive producer is a noun phrase, not a verb. Perhaps a better analogy would have been vice-president…one wouldn’t say that a vice-president vice-presided.
[QUOTE=Starving Artist]
But Executive Producer is a title, not a verb, even though the title contains what would otherwise be a verb. A person fulfilling that role may be producing but he/she is not ‘executive producing’, as executive producer is a noun phrase, not a verb. Perhaps a better analogy would have been vice-president…one wouldn’t say that a vice-president vice-presided.
[/QUOTE]
But you could say vice-presided, couldn’t you? It might sound strange, but technically you could. Or not?
Are you okay with executively produced? How about vicely presided?
Vicely presided won’t work, because vice-president is one (hyphenated) word. It’s practically an agglutination. But the veep does preside (over the Senate).
Watching what little of the Bears game that I have-may I add to this list the phrase, "anytime you’ve got a [fill in the blank]? It seems to be one of the commentators favorite phrases.
I’m down with that.
I feel ya.
And “super!”–an old, old 80’s expression still used by someone I know. Ugh.
Hoping that’s a joke, or else you don’t understand my usage. Just in case, when a store clerk answers the phone with “You need to hold [click]” or she hands you your credit card receipt and says “You need to sign here” or a restaurant hostess says “You need to come this way” as she seats you.
[QUOTE=Terrifel]
I think **e-bow ** was simply observing that the rest of us hate young black people with MBAs.
I know that’s what I meant to convey with my contribution, anyway.
Dang, I always thought that was the whole point of the reference-- the implication that one’s “peeps” are such close friends that they might as well be joined at the hip, just as the marshmallow variety often come fused together in a row.
Not that I ever use the expression myself, of course-- I’m no young black MBA.
[/QUOTE]
I heard this from my twenty year-old employees, all very smart, college educated young women. I’m a rather easy-going manager, so perhaps it was a case of the informal, but, often, when I would tell someone to do something, usually elaborating on the Why’s of it so they would learn more, was answered with “Yeah, Good Call…”
Umm, yes, why, it Is a Good Call, because I know my job. It bugged me at first, but then saw that it was really, in current lingo, they were just saying “OK, Gotcha, I hear you” etc. But, what a strange way to say it. I never would have said “Good Call” to a supervisor when young. Quite arrogant, therefore a might stupid to say.
Feel free to enlighten me as to it’s easy meaning, ya whippersnappers.
One of my coworkers (who I thankfully don’t have to work directly with) says to me EVERY TIME we pass each other “Having fun yet?” And I mean EVERY damn time.
I mean, what is that? Unfortunately, she seems to be spreading it around the floor, because i’ve heard various other sheep use it now as well.
It’s almost as bad as “It’s definitely Monday.” Shut the fuck up and start having FUN already so I don’t have to hear it.