Trent Lott sticks his foot in his mouth again

I suppose it could be worse, but I don’t see how.

Okay. I’m in!

No this is still a bad idea, as only morons, gloryhounds and chickenhawks looking for reflected glory will actually buy those tickets.

Nah, it should be more like jury duty.

::Rips open mail:: Ah crap, I have to be a state senator this year. Great, more 10 hour days listening to debates over the merits of proposed license plate design.

Not sure why the Speaker of the House would call a Senator…

Mainly because he has been taking a leading role in the GOP Congressional leadership since Lott was originally deposed. Also has close ties to the White House.

Eh… If anyone was going to call Lott out on this it would be Bill Frist, the majority leader of the Senate.

I really don’t think Hastert would want to get involved. He has enough trouble trying to rein in the idiots in the House.

I’m find myself in rare state of agreement with ya, Diogenes.

Okay, I’m not a Republican and I’m certainly not a fan or defender of Trent Lott. But I read the article and just for the sake of accuracy I have to say that it seemed obvious to me he was talking about the Tikrit region rather than the whole country. Not that that makes it any less stupid.

Ugh. Just sent this letter to Mr. Lott at senatorlott@lott.senate.gov

Gridlock, for lack of a better word, is good. Gridlock is right. Gridlock works.

Sucks, you won’t get a reply unless you are a constituent.

You could try writing your own Senators and tell them you think Trent Lott is a tool. Don’t know how much good that would do.

Done. E-mails off to both Senator DeWine and Senator Voinovich - both Republicans, I might add.

If you want even more depressing news, there is no buzz whatsoever about this statement from where I sit Inside the Beltway.

Congressional Quarterly hasn’t picked it up. The Washington Post hasn’t touched it. CNN doesn’t have it. So far as I can tell, only Capitol Hill Blue and the Washington Times have covered the story here in Dismayland. Oddly enough, I see that the Pravda message boards have found it as well.

The box score therefore is friendless DC pit bulls, Moonies, and ex-Commies 1, mainstream media 0.

What the fuck is wrong with us?

It’s been tried. In ancient Athens, all citizens were members of the Assembly. Kind of unwieldy, but kept from total anarchy by the oversight of the Council of 500, which were selected by lottery. One year terms, never to be repeated.
We could do worse…and have.

Good, that’s about the best you can do.

Yeah, but I swapped their names in my head. As Hastert is making the call today. :wink:

Bet Boykin and Lott make it into the aQ recruiters’ pitch. They’d be fools not to use juicy quotes like those.

[Aerosmith] Jesus’ got a gun…[/Aero]