So my marathon-running friend has convinced me to train for a triathlon with her. I have no idea where to begin. She’s got mono, though, so I have some time to catch up with her.
Here’s where I’m at:
- I used to jog a lot in high school and university, about 5-15 years ago.
- I was on the swim team in high school
- I have been a devoted bike commuter for the past 10 years or so.
I’d love assistance with specific questions I have, as well as any other things I haven’t though of.
Questions, in random order:
- If I run in the morning, when/what do I eat? I can’t imagine running on an empty stomach but I can’t think of what to put in there, either.
- I have a beloved hybrid bike that I’ve been using for years. I know I would have to use a real racing bike to actually race, but is my hybrid okay for training? Are there ways of renting/borrowing a good racing bike when needed, or should I just splurge on my own (to make sure it fits me correctly, etc)?
- How do you train for swimming? Just swim laps?
Any other tips/tricks/advice?
Thanks in advance.